carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #61
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
If space is the issue. Minivan. Sorry, but that's the absolute ticket and truth. If you *need* a V8 with space, don't dick around and get a Subruban or Escalade.
...or CPO <MY2014 LR4

But yeah, minivans are great.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #62
FC
Solving problems

A few benefits come from SUV's over wagons, if you get he right SUV:

-Ground clearance (all sorts of benefits from this)
-Ability to see over giant piles of snow at intersections (this can be a huge deal)
-Reasonable to good towing
-I know most crossovers suck at this, but my LR4 has a lot more cargo volume due to vertical rear and a lot of height, allowing for large, bulky things to fit. Also handy for changing inside your car, room for large pets while still leaving room for cargo, etc.
-Some have tail gates, which rock.
-Some have marginal to decent 3rd row seating (always handy)
-Some have AWD systems far superior to stuff you get in wagons/minivans.

The LR4 happens to have lots of glass, which is awesome. Too bad that is disappearing in SUV's nowadays. I LOVE my LR4. No chance in hell that's my only car, but given how we use it, it's perfect.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #63
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I didn't think I cared much about this. When will I be driving in more than 5" of snow?

Then the first time I drove home after a 4" of snow I couldn't get into my unplowed driveway due to the 10" plow piles at the end. Doh
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #64
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
A few benefits come from SUV's over wagons, if you get he right SUV:

-Ability to see over giant piles of snow at intersections (this can be a huge deal)
-Reasonable to good towing
-I know most crossovers suck at this, but my LR4 has a lot more cargo volume due to vertical rear and a lot of height, allowing for large, bulky things to fit. Also handy for changing inside your car, room for large pets while still leaving room for cargo, etc.
-Some have tail gates, which rock.
-Some have marginal to decent 3rd row seating (always handy)
-Some have AWD systems far superior to stuff you get in wagons/minivans.

The LR4 happens to have lots of glass, which is awesome. Too bad that is disappearing in SUV's nowadays. I LOVE my LR4. No chance in hell that's my only car, but given how we use it, it's perfect.

Height is about the only thing that makes an SUV more convenient than a car - you can slide into it, and loading and unloading is easier.

Height also is a detriment, higher center of gravity means tippier handling and a less aero shape.

A mini van is the ideal vehicle for people with kids - Honda makes a great one (all new one on the way) and I can't imagine why so many people are repulsed by the idea. I've driven the last two gens and they drive great, are comfortable and it's fun to pull up to a curb, open the sliding door and walk from the front of the car, down the center aisle and out from the side.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #65
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
A mini van is the ideal vehicle for people with kids - Honda makes a great one (all new one on the way) and I can't imagine why so many people are repulsed by the idea. I've driven the last two gens and they drive great, are comfortable and it's fun to pull up to a curb, open the sliding door and walk from the front of the car, down the center aisle and out from the side.
No arguments here.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #66
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I didn't think I cared much about this. When will I be driving in more than 5" of snow?

Then the first time I drove home after a 4" of snow I couldn't get into my unplowed driveway due to the 10" plow piles at the end. Doh
That was the problem with my V70R. Never had traction issues with winter tires, but it was so low, it was a plow. And if I came home after heavy snow, I had a huge pile of snow I could not clear. Many times I had to race to shovel maniacally to get my car out of the way of the street plow. Several times, even when garaged, I simply could not, in a pinch, drive through several inches of snow through my driveway. Finally, snow hides a lot of things, like branches, curbs, etc. I know many people that have been stranded by trying to get through something they thought was only snow or getting creative and going through uncharted areas for risk of getting stuck in deep snow. A proper SUV fixes a lot of that.

Don't get me wrong, in my case, an LR4 is a heavy dynamic price to pay for the benefits, but as a designated Swiss army knife car, it's kick-ass. It also has a smooth V8 and is very nice, so it makes for a great, laid back, comfortable driving experience. But yeah, I look forward to getting a nice sports sedan to split time with it. Hopefully next year.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #67
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
I know many people that have been stranded by trying to get through something they thought was only snow or getting creative and going through uncharted areas for risk of getting stuck in deep snow. A proper SUV fixes a lot of that.
So SUVs are good because you might occasionally drive over a curb on accident, and you wouldn't want to get stuck. Got it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #68
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
So SUVs are good because you might occasionally drive over a curb on accident, and you wouldn't want to get stuck. Got it.
Right, because that is the only thing I mentioned.

For the record, I've never done that, but from anecdotal evidence, many others do. It seemed like a statistically valid incident to bring up.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #69
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
That was the problem with my V70R. Never had traction issues with winter tires, but it was so low, it was a plow. And if I came home after heavy snow, I had a huge pile of snow I could not clear. Many times I had to race to shovel maniacally to get my car out of the way of the street plow. Several times, even when garaged, I simply could not, in a pinch, drive through several inches of snow through my driveway. Finally, snow hides a lot of things, like branches, curbs, etc. I know many people that have been stranded by trying to get through something they thought was only snow or getting creative and going through uncharted areas for risk of getting stuck in deep snow. A proper SUV fixes a lot of that.

Don't get me wrong, in my case, an LR4 is a heavy dynamic price to pay for the benefits, but as a designated Swiss army knife car, it's kick-ass. It also has a smooth V8 and is very nice, so it makes for a great, laid back, comfortable driving experience. But yeah, I look forward to getting a nice sports sedan to split time with it. Hopefully next year.
I kind of chuckle at calling an LR4 a "swiss army knife" car. Okay, maybe if you attach a 10 lb weight to the little key ring thing.

A Golf R is a swiss army knife car.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #70
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Wrong.

The lr4 offers far more utility than a compact hatch.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote