carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #61
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The next place in Oregon I got gas, I pumped my own again, and the attendant there flipped the fuck out about how I was putting him and every in a half mile radius at grave physical risk since I was not a trained professional. It was truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Exactly my beef with it. If I wanted to wait a half hour to get filled up I would buy a Tesla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Did get a lot of stares from other motorists. Maybe they thought I was taking away from the 89 year old's responsibilities, or maybe they never saw a 40foot RV before at the supermarket pumps
I’m going to guess the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Which, ironically, you can plug in yourself.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #62
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Equ any more thoughts on the GC?

It's snowing in right now in Westchester if you want to drive it in snow.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #63
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I have parked it on snow (with its half-worn all-seasons). Blizzaks should go on when I get a chance.

It's fine really. Still great mpg (just did the first fill-up so will get the pump to computer calibration soon). Good steering and decent ride and handling. Air suspension is good to have.

I can nitpick anything. Some

- I haven't driven longer than an hour. Still fiddling with driver's position. Part of this may be not being used to Automatic pedals. I hope to get comfortable, this is important.

- Emergency brake seems weak, push pedal type. I left it on and drove without feeling much slowness for 100yds after which the beep reminded me. I'll take it in for adjusting.

- Seat heater delayed compared to bmw (they all are)

- Transmission. The 8-speed is excellent, nice downshifts. I keep it in S on highways and D in tight places and heavy traffic. Pairs well with the torquey

- Engine. It's always adequate and never too much. Diesels are made for heavy vehicles. I hit an indicated 31 on a 30mi highway stretch today.

- Space. I thought I was giving up a good amount of practicality with the JGC compared to a RR or 4runner, but I think it's fine. It is less boxy, but on day 2, I brought home one 2x10x10' and five 10' 2x4's without sticking out or tying on a roof. Saved me me a truck rental, $35, 1 out 1000 payback, let's say an hour saved as well.

- 506W speakers. Sound is better than my stock f10 system (which is not HK). This is the second from top system for the Jeep.

- Brakes. Not bad, and in an emergency situation (an accident happened right in front of me today on the GSP) easily responded (with a bit of tire lock - but that's not the brakes fault).

- All thoughts of Toyota or RR have faded away. I do think for someone enthusiastic or not overly budget-minded, the diesel and the hemi feel better than the base engine and have better wafting and cruising.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #64
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I brought home one 2x10x10' and five 10' 2x4's without sticking out or tying on a roof.
How did it work? I assume they're were sticking between the front seats?

I can load 8' 2x4 and 4x4's into the e46 that way. They come within about 1.5" of the dash. I just don't love the idea that if I brake too hard I will smash the radio.

Quote:
1 out 1000 payback
I like it.

But the real win is knowing that you can do this kind of job whenever you feel like it, without having to jump through the rental hoops and making sure they're available.

It's a control thing, and I'm perfectly willing to admit I have control issues.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #65
equ
Alphanumeric

Another - mostly - highway drive. 29mpg reported on 100mi, with 500+ miles range remaining.

Positives:

- If I sit further back - as there is no clutch to press - I can get comfortable. I've stopped fidgeting and adjusting, I just need to sit somewhere different than I do in a manual car (my last twenty or so cars with one small exception).

- Comfortable/serene on highway.

Some negatives, not major:

- definitely a bit floaty at speed, not something you drive at 85mph on the left lane cutting in and out (I guess you could if you paid crazy attention) but more relax with the family on the right or center lane at 70mph.

- nearside A-pillar has a blind spot. I find myself leaning to see towards LH apexes (as well as potential pedestrians crossing)

- parking sensors only on rear. A bit weird that there are all sorts of other sensors. My first experience with adaptive cruise (works well enough) and blind spot detection (pretty nice for checking far cross traffic when you are reversing)

- emergency brake seems weak. I'm going to complain, I can easily drive with it off.

The dog was in it for the first time today (with a seat cover). She needs the window open at 23F unfortunately. Also more returns in that carried 3 bags of cement. Sure cars carry that too... The other month I had 500lbs of tile & kitchen construction materials in my 535i and I felt sorry for the rear suspension. Put it on firm and it helped a bit.

This one, I don't feel extra passengers or 200lbs of cargo at all.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:50 PM   #66
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
- nearside A-pillar has a blind spot. I find myself leaning to see towards LH apexes (as well as potential pedestrians crossing)
This is becoming quite a common complaint for me in newer cars. Not sure how else they can efficiently fit airbags and meet rollover requirements without it, though.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #67
equ
Alphanumeric

800 Mile Review

- Engine. Smooth, torquey, efficient. A little slow and clattery sub-10mph and haven't really gone beyond 85-90. Generally likes to cruise around 70 to 75. 28-29mpg's on the highway. Pump calculated 25.6mpg on a combined mostly highway tank with 550mi range.

- Transmission. The 8-speed ZF is fantastic for an auto-box. I like how it downshifts matching revs into red lights. Other than at launches, it doesn't churn/hum much, seems to lock up to gear quickly. This is my third automatic car ever, after the 1986 Mercury POS and my failed 2011 x5d experiment. I use both D & S modes (S helps briskness just a bit and also lowers the car, the two are tied to each other). I haven't used the paddles.

- Air suspension. It's not sporty, but it rides decently and I can feel it adjusts for the load.

So while the JGC is an exceedingly common car, at least the Overland Ecodiesel specification is rather rare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180124_114730.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	11622  
Old 01-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #68
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
800 Mile Review

- Engine. Smooth, torquey, efficient. A little slow and clattery sub-10mph and haven't really gone beyond 85-90. Generally likes to cruise around 70 to 75. 28-29mpg's on the highway. Pump calculated 25.6mpg on a combined mostly highway tank with 550mi range.

- Transmission. The 8-speed ZF is fantastic for an auto-box. I like how it downshifts matching revs into red lights. Other than at launches, it doesn't churn/hum much, seems to lock up to gear quickly. This is my third automatic car ever, after the 1986 Mercury POS and my failed 2011 x5d experiment. I use both D & S modes (S helps briskness just a bit and also lowers the car, the two are tied to each other). I haven't used the paddles.

- Air suspension. It's not sporty, but it rides decently and I can feel it adjusts for the load.

So while the JGC is an exceedingly common car, at least the Overland Ecodiesel specification is rather rare.

Sounds great. Can't beat that mpg average in a vehicle that likley weighs close to 5k pounds.

I believe the x5 would've had the same ZF 8 speed, but BMW programs it a bit differently. What do you think of the Jeep version in comparison?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:41 PM   #69
rumatt
Mugwump

Glad you're enjoying it. It's looks great in that color.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:11 AM   #70
equ
Alphanumeric

Weighs 5200 to maybe 5400lbs most likely. If you are not demanding speedy moves, the engine feels more than comfortable for that weight. It has 7200lb tow rating and the same motor as in the Ram 1500 diesel.

Pretty sure my x5d had a 6-speed as well as the earlier bmw diesel engine. I never liked the throttle response nor the shifts but honestly don't remember much. That was four years ago and I only drove it for a couple thousand miles.

I think MB makes the smoothest diesel of the three (never drove the vw/audi/Porsche 3.0). The design and and system of the jeep are more appealing to me. Also no runflat and better brake feel. Funny, helping a friend buy that diesel ML got me looking into diesel Suvs in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk