carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2023, 02:58 PM   #1
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Getting the itch…

Ok… so I’ve had the Model 3 for just shy of 4.5 years now. I’ve never kept a car much past 5 years (The Model S went just over 5.25 years)….

Been thinking about what’s next for a few months now. But the 3 only has 26k miles on it (combination of the accident taking 5 months to complete repairs and shifting to work from home (planned before COVID actually)…. The 3 has also been rock solid — maintenance has so far been minimal (the only unscheduled service was a tire replacement due to a nail too close to the sidewall and I just had the 12V battery replaced a couple weeks ago). So a part of me wants to just keep the 3 for a few more years. But the itch is hard to ignore…

Problem is, I’m all over the place. I’ve priced out all of the below:
  • Taycan Cross Turismo - there’s one in stock in Dallas that has a great config (Carmine red, with Limestone beige interior, and a decent set of options).
  • Kia EV6 (GT or regular) - I’ve been avoiding a test drive since I think I’ll like it a lot (love the design…)
  • Genesis GV60 - not yet avail in TX, but one of the reasons I’ve been holding off on testing the Kia is so I can test the GV60 and the Kia on the same day…
  • Rivian R1S - Haven’t seen one in person yet, but I love what I hear (and I’ve talked with a couple R1T owners. I’ve configured one, but a deposit now would be delivered in “late ‘23”…
  • Volvo EX90 or Polestar 3 - can pre-order now, but delivery won’t be for 12-15 months for either. Like the Polestar design slightly better, but it’s also priced about $15k higher.
  • ND Miata - yes, I’ve even configured an ICE…. Part of me is thinking why spend a bunch of money on something that doesn’t get a lot of miles and will often sit at the airport (I drive a couple hundred miles a month these days — and I’m traveling 1-3x most months now). One idea is getting a used Miata (why doesn’t Mazda offer the tan interior anymore?), and keeping the 3 (we’ll need a 3rd car once my daughter gets her license)…

Nothing imminent, but I may need to do some test drives…

Last edited by ZBB; 01-15-2023 at 08:32 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote