carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority > Spit Shined

Old 12-28-2004, 03:42 PM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Took 10.5 hours to get back from Maine... the blizzard conditions were a biatch in MA and CT.

Ugh...

It took me ~3 hours to make it home from the NH border. It usually takes about 45 minutes. I'm glad we didn't leave any later.

Your drive must have been sucky as hell. Glad you made it ok. What tires are you sporting? I had 225 LM22's all around. Car did very well. I only lost traction on VERY deep stuff while giving the car gas at under 20mph. But as long as I was moving I was fine.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:42 PM   #12
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Maybe it's just me, but I kind of like it when the car is real dirty like that. It looks like it's been somewhere, done something.
The speckled white badge of courage?
It doesn't have to be salt. Mud/dirt works well too. About 15 years ago, a friend and I were waiting to meet some people in a semi-rural area. There was a dirt road accessing some hunting spots and government cornfields that cut off the main road and rejoined further up. It had rained a lot in the previous two days and the dirt road was a mud bog. So, being young and stupid, we went four wheeling along the loop over and over again in my Mustang while waiting for our friends. If I'd only had the foresight to take pics. I don't think there's ever been a dirtier Mustang GT that didn't unintentionally go off road.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:43 PM   #13
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
This trip was the first one where I actually found the headlamp washers helpful.
Your first real winter experience in the car.

They do help melt the ice gunk that forms up there.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:04 PM   #14
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Quote:
Took 10.5 hours to get back from Maine... the blizzard conditions were a biatch in MA and CT.

Ugh...

It took me ~3 hours to make it home from the NH border. It usually takes about 45 minutes. I'm glad we didn't leave any later.

Your drive must have been sucky as hell. Glad you made it ok. What tires are you sporting? I had 225 LM22's all around. Car did very well. I only lost traction on VERY deep stuff while giving the car gas at under 20mph. But as long as I was moving I was fine.
Same here... also sporting LM-22s... though on the 68Ms, with 245s in back. Saw dozens of cars in the ditches... mostly SUVs, predictably. I'd bet big bank they were all on all-seasons, too.

We were keeping score for awhile, but got bored with that. At last count, it was something like 10 SUVs to 4 cars in the ditches.

I used my brakes so infrequently, that when I did need to, they were very spongy. Probably frozen and coated with ice/slush.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #15
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ugh...

Same here... also sporting LM-22s... though on the 68Ms, with 245s in back. Saw dozens of cars in the ditches... mostly SUVs, predictably. I'd bet big bank they were all on all-seasons, too.

We were keeping score for awhile, but got bored with that. At last count, it was something like 10 SUVs to 4 cars in the ditches.

I used my brakes so infrequently, that when I did need to, they were very spongy. Probably frozen and coated with ice/slush.
Same here on the braking. Yup, lots of SUV's in ditches including a X5 4.4 with the 19" stock setup. I am running on M68's too. decided to put the 225's on the wider wheels. It looks kinda funny, but it works. I probably should have kept the stock 245 size. Oh well, next time.

We saw a Mustang (GT/Cobra/SVT???) on wide Z-rated tires. It was quite the spectacle. The poor bastard just kept flooring the gas too. he was moving at about .5mph with the tail swinging like a pendulum. Quite amusing.

The thing that bothered me the most were the morons tailgating me. :roll: :evil:
Old 12-29-2004, 09:51 AM   #16
JST

Quote:
We saw a Mustang (GT/Cobra/SVT???) on wide Z-rated tires. It was quite the spectacle. The poor bastard just kept flooring the gas too. he was moving at about .5mph with the tail swinging like a pendulum. Quite amusing.
My favorite recollection along those lines was a guy with a spanking new C32 AMG sitting on the slight upgrade after the Roosevelt Bridge, with his tires lazily spinning, spinning, spinning. I dropped my wife off and came back the same way about 25 min. later, and the guy was still there, still trying to get up the ramp by just giving it more gas.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #17
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
My favorite recollection along those lines was a guy with a spanking new C32 AMG sitting on the slight upgrade after the Roosevelt Bridge, with his tires lazily spinning, spinning, spinning. I dropped my wife off and came back the same way about 25 min. later, and the guy was still there, still trying to get up the ramp by just giving it more gas.
I don't get that. They just expect that the car will all of a sudden get traction? :roll:
Old 12-29-2004, 10:50 AM   #18
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I washed mine last week when it was above freezing.

Holy crap, it's above freezing now. I might go wash mine today.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:53 AM   #19
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
I washed mine last week when it was above freezing.

Holy crap, it's above freezing now. I might go wash mine today.
I was just thinking the same thing.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:59 AM   #20
Doug

lots of construction around here so my car has looked like that for months