carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
SCA
Jaded

BMW NA loses over 370 cars in NJ Port.

The Courage tipped in port.

The Courage tipped today at the port in Jersey City causing major damage to over 300 BMWs not including 70+ BMWs that were total losses.

a majority of the destroyed vehicles were M3s (mostly in dark blue) with a variety of 3ers and 1ers smashed up as well. A small number of the cars destroyed had German Tourist plates on them, those European delivery customers will NOT be getting their cars back.

If you were expecting your M3 or e90/92 in the next month, you're going to be in for a sad surprise.

those cars that were a total loss will be crushed, I asked a BMW rep, he stated that they will not be auctioned as there is a liability for letting those cars on the road. The shipping company's insurance is footing the bill, I do not know how they will handle those cars that are already owned by the European Delivery customers.

Those cars with light damage will be repaired at the Elizabeth Receiving facility and sold through BMW's dealer network as new cars.

Photos: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...05&postcount=2
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Doh!
Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
That is sad as can be without living beings getting hurt. What a bummer... And why on 1er's and M3's? Why couldn't be a 7er or x5 or the vanilla 328AT shipment? Or some other boring cars...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
What a bummer... And why on 1er's and M3's? Why couldn't be a 7er or x5 or the vanilla 328AT shipment? Or some other boring cars...

That is going to suck for dealers/owners. I can't imagine BMW has lots of extra capacity on M3's.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
How does a ship tip in port? Did they unload everything from one side first?

I would lament the loss of the dealer demos, but the dealers wouldn't have used them as demos anyway, so it's just a slight delay for the first M3s to show up and go for $15k over sticker - but I really fell bad for the ED folks. That has to suck in the worst way.

I also wonder what "lightly damaged" means. I don't expect to buy a new car with a repair shop fender on it and have it called new.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Damn, and not one of 'em a Z4 or E60 ?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
I also wonder what "lightly damaged" means. I don't expect to buy a new car with a repair shop fender on it and have it called new.
This is actually "business as usual". Quite a few cars get touched up at VPC, Fil might have a better idea on %... Apparently they do nearly factory level work.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
There is a guy on 1Addicts that did ED on his early production E90 330i and once it arrived at the NJ VPC it needed a new bumper and both driver-side door replaced.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
This is actually "business as usual". Quite a few cars get touched up at VPC, Fil might have a better idea on %... Apparently they do nearly factory level work.
any damage over 3% of the price of the vehicle would result it the vehicle NOT being sold as a new car. So, even on a $60k car, they are capped at $1800 worth of repairs.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
There is a guy on 1Addicts that did ED on his early production E90 330i and once it arrived at the NJ VPC it needed a new bumper and both driver-side door replaced.
Why? was it transportation damage or damage that occured from his ED and was covered by the insurance?

A few point here...
1) I am told that the VPC replaces vs. repairs parts, so instead of filling the doors with bondo, they will replace the panels
2) I'm sure there is a grey area with the 3% rule on ED cars since they are not technically "new" and have already been sold... here is a another thought: if an ED car is damaged in shipment, who pays? Is that also covered under the zero-deductible policy that comes with all ED cars, vs. being paid by BMW or the shipping company? That might also be a reason for different rules on damage to ED cars.