carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-03-2021, 10:53 PM   #1861
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
It is a 2017, real manual and had about 10k miles when I got it. I just crossed 22k today. It wasn't CPO, but had a year of new car warranty left. The original sticker was $125k. It was a nice time back then when cars depreciated.

It was post 698 of this thread:
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...&postcount=698

I wouldn't have bought a 911 if PDK was the only option. We made a true manual a requirement for our fun car.
It was and is a great buy.

It’s been fun to see what’s happened to the preowned 911 market since then. It’s super fun to hear about people who bought prior to COVID and to just see it play out.

I’m still looking for the missing piece for me. Things have gotten pricey but I don’t see it correcting soon. I had my mind set on a 2018 GT3 6speed, but now I have to seriously consider the 992 GT3 6speed because they have extensively reworked the front suspension in a meaningful way.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:59 PM   #1862
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Yeah. So the question is, what is the next hot generation of 911? Obviously it was always the 993 (1994-1998).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...carrera-4s-36/

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:44 AM   #1863
SCA
Jaded

I would have purchased this. Meteor Grey over Terracotta. Spoke with Passport BMW first thing this morning. They took a deposit on it yesterday within an hour after listing. Proceeded to receive another 15-20 calls throughout the day. The 997.2 market is NUTS! Not new news by any means just reconfirmed.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...id=autotempest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	972738AD-C1EE-415F-BFC4-5CD8CCEC11ED.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	13855  
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #1864
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
What is this doing at CarMax? Suspiciously, I'm not seeing a Vehicle History report...

https://www.carmax.com/car/20911470

Edit: I take it back, there seem to be quite a few Porsches at CarMax...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #1865
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
What is this doing at CarMax? Suspiciously, I'm not seeing a Vehicle History report...

https://www.carmax.com/car/20911470

Edit: I take it back, there seem to be quite a few Porsches at CarMax...
Yeah they have a suprising amount of Porsches...even some manuals as well. I think I'd be open to buying a car from them since you can apparently buy a pretty good extended warranty from them as well.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #1866
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah they have a suprising amount of Porsches...even some manuals as well. I think I'd be open to buying a car from them since you can apparently buy a pretty good extended warranty from them as well.
I've posted before that buying from Carmax can in certain circumstances be very useful, because they will often let you bring a car from a far-flung place to a local store so that you can check it out and drive it before buying. It's especially nice because doing that puts a hold on the car.

Edit: Like, here I could have them bring me that 911 for $199. You don't get that money back if you don't buy the car, but it's nice to be able to do for a car that you're serious about and just want to look at before pulling the trigger.

I've done that with three cars now, the M3 and two Boxsters. I bought the M3 but passed on both of the Boxsters because while they were low mileage, they were in rougher shape than I was looking for.

I bought the extended warranty on the M3 but (knock wood) haven't had to use it yet.

Last edited by JST; 10-05-2021 at 05:11 PM.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #1867
clyde
Chief title editor

Does the CarMac warranty (service contract?) require you to do maintenance at their facilities?

I remember Demuro attaining his fame initially from "testing" their warranty on a bunch of things (probably misremembering, but close enough), but them changing terms after a bit. Was still supposed to be pretty good, but not quite as good as it was. Thought I saw someone say something somewhere that they require mfr service schedule be followed at their service centers for them to honor it when stuff breaks. That might be wrong or incomplete, though, which is why I'm asking.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #1868
JST

There’s a deductible if you take it somewhere else, and no deductible if you use their facility. The deductible is pretty reasonable though ($50?), so it’s not a big deal.

I don’t recall anything about having to use their service centers for maintenance, but I haven’t gone back to look at the contract.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #1869
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I've posted before that buying from Carmax can in certain circumstances be very useful, because they will often let you bring a car from a far-flung place to a local store so that you can check it out and drive it before buying. It's especially nice because doing that puts a hold on the car.

Edit: Like, here I could have them bring me that 911 for $199. You don't get that money back if you don't buy the car, but it's nice to be able to do for a car that you're serious about and just want to look at before pulling the trigger.

I've done that with three cars now, the M3 and two Boxsters. I bought the M3 but passed on both of the Boxsters because while they were low mileage, they were in rougher shape than I was looking for.

I bought the extended warranty on the M3 but (knock wood) haven't had to use it yet.
Thanks - this confirms what I had been thinking. My taste in used Porsches is not so esoteric that I couldn't find something that I like at a Carmax. I had forgotten that you purchased the M3 through Carmax. Do you remember how much they charged for the extended warranty (and how many years did you opt for)?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #1870
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Thanks - this confirms what I had been thinking. My taste in used Porsches is not so esoteric that I couldn't find something that I like at a Carmax. I had forgotten that you purchased the M3 through Carmax. Do you remember how much they charged for the extended warranty (and how many years did you opt for)?
It wasn't cheap but it wasn't that bad. Can't remember the exact details, but it was partly mileage based, so the price on it went up when the car crossed 30K miles as I was test driving it. Whoops.

I feel like it was about 2200 for cover through 72000 miles? But I think there's a time limit too that will run well before then. I'll dig up the documents when I get home.