carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Winter tires

I'm torn on whether I should get performance winter tires (Blizzak LM-25's) for the V70R or studless winter tires (Blizzak WS-50's).

Part of me wants to make the wagon (the designated bad weather car) as capable as possible in case of a bad storm and Canadian winters, but at the same time I hate giving up that much control at high speeds/dry winter roads (which is still the case most of the time in Boston).

I'm leaning towards performance winter tires. If I do, I will go with the H-rated LM-25's (there are both H and V rated LM-25's). There are also Michelin Alpin H-rated performance winter tires. They happen to be in special about $15 less per tire than the LM-25's. Any experience with Michelin snow tires? The difference in ratings at the TireRack is in the noise (statistical noise, that is).

These are all in the OE 235/45/R17 size. I suppose I could try to get 225/45/R17 tires instead, but I don't see how much difference 10mm can make.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by FC; 12-13-2006 at 03:57 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote