carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #41
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Question for the group: what SUV handles the best and could be a comparator for the E450 wagon?

Curious for the thoughts.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #42
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Question for the group: what SUV handles the best and could be a comparator for the E450 wagon?

Curious for the thoughts.
Audi RSQ8 I guess that is more AMG so normal SQ8
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #43
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Lemming's question: The X3 w/ b58 engine is a really nice all around package.

I did take the wagon for ~100 mile round trip work excursion today and it is unbeatably comfy. I may go drive a Defender on Saturday, but the wagon did a nice job today re-asserting what is great about it.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #44
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Lemming's question: The X3 w/ b58 engine is a really nice all around package.

I did take the wagon for ~100 mile round trip work excursion today and it is unbeatably comfy. I may go drive a Defender on Saturday, but the wagon did a nice job today re-asserting what is great about it.
I’m tending toward E450 wagon if possible.

I was just curious if there’s anything as good for ride quality and dynamics.

It’s like AMG only for MBs. But Cayenne maybe.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #45
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Outside of an rs6 avant or panamera cross Turismo I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better mile eater. The e450 compares really well to your old e61 5 wagon. You have experience with Merc UI, so you know the downfalls with the infotainment usability and the plethora of buttons that all do the same thing, but not the thing you want.

Mine has accoustic glass, the air control suspension, and the massaging dynamic seats which add an extra layer of excellence to the long distance commute. If you're looking, those are options you might want to keep an eye out for.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 09-14-2021, 06:33 PM   #46
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

I was just curious if there’s anything as good for ride quality and dynamics.

It’s like AMG only for MBs. But Cayenne maybe.
I was going to suggest the Cayenne.

I think Equ had one (or was it a Macan)? So, perhaps he can comment on that option. I've driven a Cayenne once and liked it--better than the Macan, frankly. But Porsche SUVs always seem to lose out on the value side to other options--especially the well-speced BMW ones.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #47
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I was going to suggest the Cayenne.

I think Equ had one (or was it a Macan)? So, perhaps he can comment on that option. I've driven a Cayenne once and liked it--better than the Macan, frankly. But Porsche SUVs always seem to lose out on the value side to other options--especially the well-speced BMW ones.
Yeah Equ had a Macan turbo I believe. He liked it but never really connected with it IIRC. I think the Macan is the generic auto journalist answer to "best handling SUV", but I'm not a huge fan of it either. A bit too small and pricey. And frankly, in my experience I didnt think it felt that much different than a Q5 or SQ5. I haven't driven a Cayenne, but there's someone here who feels very strongly about not liking them (can't remember who). As mentioned above, the Q8/SQ8 might be worth a test drive and they share a platform w/ the Cayenne...personally I think the Audis look a little better.

Also agree its kind of hard to beat the X3 40i as all around alternative to a wagon. Downside is it probably doesnt have as comfortable a ride as q5/sq5 or macan. The Sq5 and Macan can also be specced up with more luxury features (air suspsensino, nicer leather, massaging seats etc) so in that sense they might make a better alternative if you're cross shopping an e450. The facelifted F-pace looks pretty nice as well. Haven't driven one but potentially blends the best of both worlds (RWD platform like BMW but nicer interior like Audi). Priced more like a Macan though.

Since we're discussing wagons and the e450 in particular it might be worth checking out the A6 Allroad. Yeah its one of those lifted wagons with cladding but it looks way better than other attempts at that style. Great looking car... but probably not as a fun to drive as an X3 40
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #48
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah Equ had a Macan turbo I believe. He liked it but never really connected with it IIRC. I think the Macan is the generic auto journalist answer to "best handling SUV", but I'm not a huge fan of it either. A bit too small and pricey. And frankly, in my experience I didnt think it felt that much different than a Q5 or SQ5. I haven't driven a Cayenne, but there's someone here who feels very strongly about not liking them (can't remember who). As mentioned above, the Q8/SQ8 might be worth a test drive and they share a platform w/ the Cayenne...personally I think the Audis look a little better.

Also agree its kind of hard to beat the X3 40i as all around alternative to a wagon. Downside is it probably doesnt have as comfortable a ride as q5/sq5 or macan. The Sq5 and Macan can also be specced up with more luxury features (air suspsensino, nicer leather, massaging seats etc) so in that sense they might make a better alternative if you're cross shopping an e450. The facelifted F-pace looks pretty nice as well. Haven't driven one but potentially blends the best of both worlds (RWD platform like BMW but nicer interior like Audi). Priced more like a Macan though.

Since we're discussing wagons and the e450 in particular it might be worth checking out the A6 Allroad. Yeah its one of those lifted wagons with cladding but it looks way better than other attempts at that style. Great looking car... but probably not as a fun to drive as an X3 40
Good point about the A6. And then there’s also the RS6 Avantt now…
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #49
Josh (PA)
Hello.

The cayenne sucks. I've had a few as loaners and they don't do anything better than an X5 and are $20k more expensive when comparably equipped. I also got to play with a crazy optioned cayenne turbo that was probably a $150k+ build. It was silly. It went really fast and with carbon ceramics stopped well, but the contrast of trying to be a sports car, while weighing 5000++ lbs and pretending to have off road ability (locking diffs, etc) while shod with 22" mpss type tires was all ridiculous.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 09-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #50
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The cayenne sucks. I've had a few as loaners and they don't do anything better than an X5 and are $20k more expensive when comparably equipped. I also got to play with a crazy optioned cayenne turbo that was probably a $150k+ build. It was silly. It went really fast and with carbon ceramics stopped well, but the contrast of trying to be a sports car, while weighing 5000++ lbs and pretending to have off road ability (locking diffs, etc) while shod with 22" mpss type tires was all ridiculous.

The answer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...y-the-numbers/