carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Also, who cares about armored side glass? 3rd world dictators? Zombie apocalypse fans? That's how police and fire get in to rescue you or your pets... It's the windshield that should be strong/structural.
Yeah, he narrowed the market to people who

A) like the military assault vehicle look, and

B) don't really use the truck bed.

That worries me a bit. He'll sell a bunch of these, but will it be enough?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #12
JST

I’m not at all surprised by the front; that’s what I expected based on all the Blade Runner talk.

I was surprised by the back and the trapezoidal side plan, but of course that makes sense when you think about it—it’s all about aerodynamics. That side plan is an exaggerated version of what you see in a lot of hybrids, and I’m sure it’s responsible for the range figures quoted. In that context, it’s purely utilitarian.

Will buyers accept it? There’s a long time to get used to it, and I suspect that (as with the F-117) this will define a new aesthetic over the next couple of years.

The question of whether the side panels and bed cover interfere too much with its utility as a pickup truck is interesting. Maybe they will. Given the number of trucks I see with aftermarket bed covers, I can imagine a big percentage of truck drivers might actually appreciate the lockable nature of the hold.

But these won’t be bought by contractors, anyway. The same people that buy Raptors will snap these up. It’s a brodozer without the carbon guilt.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I expected something more like this
Exactly.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #14
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I wonder if Elon's parents once owned a Pontiac Aztec??

Yesterday on CNBC graphics were shown that 90% of pick up truck sales are the big three (Ford on top, Dodge the bottom) so that means Toyota and Nissan have the last 10%

I'm guessing Nissan is not worried by this useless truck. And CNBC is showing the glass demonstration every hour today. (and Equ makes a very valid point about the side glass, first parent who locks their kid inside will be thankful that the glass can be broken)
Old 11-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Laughed out loud at this.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #16
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Laughed out loud at this.
Same.

The visibility on that thing is likely shit. But who cares, GTFO of my way. It looks like something from a low-budget '80s Sci-fi movie.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’m not at all surprised by the front; that’s what I expected based on all the Blade Runner talk.

I was surprised by the back and the trapezoidal side plan, but of course that makes sense when you think about it—it’s all about aerodynamics. That side plan is an exaggerated version of what you see in a lot of hybrids, and I’m sure it’s responsible for the range figures quoted. In that context, it’s purely utilitarian.

Will buyers accept it? There’s a long time to get used to it, and I suspect that (as with the F-117) this will define a new aesthetic over the next couple of years.

The question of whether the side panels and bed cover interfere too much with its utility as a pickup truck is interesting. Maybe they will. Given the number of trucks I see with aftermarket bed covers, I can imagine a big percentage of truck drivers might actually appreciate the lockable nature of the hold.

But these won’t be bought by contractors, anyway. The same people that buy Raptors will snap these up. It’s a brodozer without the carbon guilt.
This isn't a Raptor or bro-truck replacement. Those at least play to the idea of what makes a truck a truck and this does not.

We all know that the pick up market is HUGE. Even though only a portion of those trucks are used in a truck like manner, the ridiculous side panels as they are on this limit the truck's market to the...I won't names, but you know who you are and those who can finally replace their Cadillac Escalade EXTs and Lincoln Mark LTs because you can't use this Tesla thing to do most real pick up truck things.

But if you can retract the sail panels into the bedsides down to a normal truck like height and operate the truck with them in the retracted position (so shit can hang out the side when need be) it's probably a winner.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #18
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
We all know that the pick up market is HUGE. Even though only a portion of those trucks are used in a truck like manner, the ridiculous side panels as they are on this limit the truck's market to the...
But to underscore the "very few use their truck as a truck" argument... The vast majority of trucks sold are crew cab short beds. Most people are willing to sacrifice a real bed for more back seat space.

It's only an extension to conclude they might compromise side accessibility to gain being able to go off roading, drag a Ford F150 around, accelerate 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

It just seems like such a design decision with a lot more downside than upside.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
rumatt
Mugwump

Old 11-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #20
rumatt
Mugwump

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5LPohUp...d=sf18wfx77fjp