carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
AF: What do you think about your C350?

Curious to get some feedback now that you've had it for a while. How does it compare to your 335? What do you like/dislike?

Down to 6 months on the MCS lease, so I'm starting to think about what cars to look at. Odds are pretty good that I'll end up in another BMW, but I want to try a few other cars before I move forward with that plan. My employer participates in the MB Fleet program (extra $1500 off on a C-class on top of regular incentives) and the lease programs appear to be competitive. The C300 has zero appeal to me other than the fact that they actually offer a stick (but less power than the 328i? yawn...) so I'd probably consider the C350 (though RWD, auto only is a bit disappointing too). I figure that I'll at least take one for a drive.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Not AF, but I'll butt in. A very good friend of mine has a C350 (sport suspension, 17" wheels, all-season crappo tires). He and I shopped endlessly for a 330i for him (he wanted AT) and in the end he just turned out to be an MB man. It is more comparable to the 330i than the 335i, perhaps slightly torquier at lower revs but less exciting at higher revs. Decent grip but a bit less sporty, bit more stodgy/relaxed personality... Really nothing wrong with it.

This guy, who didn't want something too sporty, tried out a c300 4matic, the ubiquitous config here in the tristate area, and disliked it.. I've only driven that once (a while back at an audi event) but I'd tend to agree... The engine is not too bad, but the AWD really sucks the life out of that car (as it can in bmws).

The only real downside is that the interior felt a bit hard plasticky to me. He has two years (and very few miles) with his and he hasn't had a problem.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The only real downside is that the interior felt a bit hard plasticky to me. He has two years (and very few miles) with his and he hasn't had a problem.

Yeah, I figured I might be giving up some sportiness (which I don't really want to do) but I figured it would be worth a test drive to make sure. As I mentioned earlier, the idea of a C300 4matic has zero appeal to me. I figure that car will be a total snooze-fest.

I agree about the interior. I think that MB has done a great job with their exterior styling on the C and E class sedans, but I think that their interiors look pretty plain compared to Audi and BMW (the new E even more so than the C).
Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
interior of the latest C class I was in a few yeas ago was terrible last time I saw one, hopefully they improved it in recent years. Hard cheap looking plastic, ok in a toyota but not luxury car.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
SCA
Jaded

Didn't the C receive a facelift for 2011? Maybe MB improved the interior materials?
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Didn't the C receive a facelift for 2011? Maybe MB improved the interior materials?
yeah that is what I a hoping
Old 11-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
SCA
Jaded

I totally forgot that I have driven a C300 loaner. Unimpressive is putting it kindly. I do like the exterior styling with sport pkg., but those of us on this forum do not purchase a vehicle based solely on it's good looks.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I totally forgot that I have driven a C300 loaner. Unimpressive is putting it kindly. I do like the exterior styling with sport pkg., but those of us on this forum do not purchase a vehicle based solely on it's good looks.

Did some Black Friday car browsing, but no test drives.
  • MB C-class interior looks worse than I had previously remembered.
  • Lexus dealer only had IS250s.
  • Almost no inventory at Audi, and the few S4s I found were $$$ (which combined with crappy lease programs means it will cost as much as a M3-- at that point it becomes a very easy decision).
  • Infiniti will be launching a G37x S coupe in January which seems interesting-- though it is auto only.
Which brings me back to BMW (as I expected). Criticize them all you want, but they the only one in this class that will let you get the big engine with a manual transmission and AWD option at a reasonable price, and you can have your choice of sedan or coupe. The others make you compromise in one or more of those areas (RWD only, auto only, 4 door only, etc.) or have less attractive pricing (Audi). Debating the relative merits of 2dr vs. 4dr and 335i vs. 335xi, but it seems to be the best value.

Of course, the emotional side of me can still win if I like what I see in about 2 weeks when they release more info on the 1M.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

1m
Old 11-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post