carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
JST

Insurance?

Thinking about dumping my current homeowners policy and auto policy (Farmers and Progressive, respectively) and going to a single provider.

Any recommendations? I'd like low rates, but even more important is non-assholicness when you make a claim (if that's even possible).
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I have Encompass for both - and I've made claims on both, and it's been a non-issue.

They even waived the deductible on the home claim when I refused some of the work they were offering to pay for.

I had Farmers prior and my rates went down significantly.

edit: I went through a broker and he was able to run rates for like 10 companies for comparison.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
TD
Founder emeritus

I can't say that we ever really shopped around. When I went off my parent's car insurance policy back when I was 22, I stayed with the same agent (who is affiliated with State Farm). Since then, I've added policies with them for everything else and added my wife to the policy after we got married. My parents still have their slate of policies with them as well.

I've had zero complaints. Competitive rates and really no dickishness when you make a claim or get a traffic infraction. And I feel I can call up the agent and get his advice when dealing with claims through other companies, etc.

Of course, this could all be a function of my family having a bunch of policies with this same agent for well over 30 years and not a function of the insurance company he is an agent for.

Body shops I've dealt with have shared complaints about how State Farm handles estimates and supplementals. But this hasn't impacted me directly.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I have Encompass for both - and I've made claims on both, and it's been a non-issue.

They even waived the deductible on the home claim when I refused some of the work they were offering to pay for.

I had Farmers prior and my rates went down significantly.

edit: I went through a broker and he was able to run rates for like 10 companies for comparison.
Is your broker worth recommending?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Is your broker worth recommending?
I wasn't sure he'd do VA, but it looks like he does. Not that I have that many dealings with him, but I like the guy. If you tell him I referred you he'll probably start talking to you about race cars and whatnot.

Sending a PM
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I've been with State Farm forever as well. They've always been good to me, never a hassle on claims.

My body shops has told me they're great... much easier on claims than the Geicos and Progressives of the world, who often pressure them to go the cheap route on repairs.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
We have Chubb for both houses and our umbrella policy--no experience yet with claims but they have a good rep. USAA for cars; they don't do properties above a certain replacent cost. The broker that handled our Chubb policies could do auto through some other insurer, but USAA has the best rates around.

Edit: I can pm broker's name if you want
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

USAA rocks if you're lucky enough to qualify.

Alex
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
We have Chubb for both houses and our umbrella policy--no experience yet with claims but they have a good rep. USAA for cars; they don't do properties above a certain replacent cost. The broker that handled our Chubb policies could do auto through some other insurer, but USAA has the best rates around.

Edit: I can pm broker's name if you want
That'd be great, if you don't mind.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I have been a State Farm customer since I was a licensed driver, first under my father's policy and now on my own. We have our cars, home, and a rider with them. I have made a few claims with them and have had absolutely zero issues. My agent is in Reston.

I occasionally price policies at USAA, and their rates end up within $50 to $100 per year of State Farm's.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote