carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #21
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 23,536
As I cruise listings between while on conference calls and between work tasks, I am finding it a non-trivial task to clearly look at cars as a short term beater solution or a long term "this is her car for the next three years" solution. The line keeps blurring to the point I'm looking at a 2011 (same gen as my wife's) 3.6R Limited which is the loaded version of her car with a pretty powerful H6 and a regular non-problem plagued automatic instead of a CVT with similar miles for $7k. That doesn't seem to be a good idea. Yet I keep looking at them.

I'm now sitting with beater type cash in my pocket in case that happens this weekend.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #22
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
As I cruise listings between while on conference calls and between work tasks, I am finding it a non-trivial task to clearly look at cars as a short term beater solution or a long term "this is her car for the next three years" solution. The line keeps blurring to the point I'm looking at a 2011 (same gen as my wife's) 3.6R Limited which is the loaded version of her car with a pretty powerful H6 and a regular non-problem plagued automatic instead of a CVT with similar miles for $7k. That doesn't seem to be a good idea. Yet I keep looking at them.

I'm now sitting with beater type cash in my pocket in case that happens this weekend.
And yet you won't buy that kick ass W126.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...enz-300-sdl-2/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #23
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
And yet you won't buy that kick ass W126.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...enz-300-sdl-2/
W123 ftw.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...00td-turbo-14/
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #24
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 7,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Neat!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #25
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 13,935
You made a comment about driving older cars. And something about spending money to maintain them.

This is my experience with the E61.

I love it dearly but I always think “whatever happens next is going to cost me”.

So, choose wisely. But st the same time you know what an older car costs to maintain. Something with some resale so you can unload on when you need to?
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #26
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,796
The W123 was the first one I sent him but he passed on that too
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #27
kognito
older fart than ZBB
 
kognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On the road again
Posts: 7,546
Short term? how short?

Swap a lease?
__________________
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE
2016 Focus SE
kognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #28
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The W123 was the first one I sent him but he passed on that too
wtf
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #29
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 23,536
I talked to her about diesels tonight. She's not into it. i'm getting more intrigued by the hour.

In other news, I'm looking at a 2002 Outback LL Bean H6 3.0 with 190k tomorrow that looks nice in CL pics. Carfax looks like it's been regularly maintained. It reports damage to the left front and front. (Guessing that has something to do with why one of the headlight lenses looks like a 17 year old car and one looks newer.) Ask is $2800
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...850715001.html

Sunday, I'm looking at a 2003 that looks pretty similar in pics, but with only 114k miles. Seller is a tech and former detailer. He's given me some really detailed answers and said he found prior paintwork when he bought it that wasn't listed on Carfax at the time. Carfax still doesn't show anything, but does look like it had all scheduled service done at two different local Scooby dealers through 110k miles, which was about two years ago. It passed VA safety a year ago with about 1200 more miles added. Current owner bought it with just a few more miles on it in October. He's asking $3800
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...850506188.html
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #30
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 23,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
In other news, I'm looking at a 2002 Outback LL Bean H6 3.0 with 190k tomorrow that looks nice in CL pics. Carfax looks like it's been regularly maintained. It reports damage to the left front and front. (Guessing that has something to do with why one of the headlight lenses looks like a 17 year old car and one looks newer.) Ask is $2800
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...850715001.html
Curbstoner, except for being up front about it when I got there. Car needs power steering and brake work. Also a slight and subtle high pitched whine under load coming from somewhere. A good little bit of Subaru rust on the underside. Otherwise, meh?

Looking forward to seeing the other car tomorrow.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC