carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-03-2022, 02:42 PM   #321
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I cannot say that my opinion of where the economy is headed is much different than his.
I just find the language juvenile. Then again, he communicates via twitter.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #322
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
lon Musk's SpaceX fires workers over letter criticizing him

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/06/17/...-letter-fired/
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:01 PM   #323
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

I guess I'll find out on Monday if it's any of the people I work with at SX
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:42 PM   #324
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

And this is from a guy who (said anyway) he values totally free speech.....

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:36 PM   #325
robg
Carmudgeon

Fuck Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
And this is from a guy who (said anyway) he values totally free speech.....

Yep- except when it’s something he doesn’t like. I mean that’s like totally free speech man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:05 AM   #326
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
So I at long last have driven a Tesla.

This was a Tesla Model Y Long Range rental from Hertz at LAX. Got over 150 miles of seat time in, so a decent amount of experience. Hertz has a staff member that will give short tutorials to Tesla virgins, which was helpful. He said they had over 1200 Teslas based at LAX and typically had over 1000 in the field on any particular day.

The acceleration and tech are obviously very impressive. I didn't notice any build quality issues on the rental, though materials quality could be better. Handling was decent, but let down by feeling free steering, braking, and suspension. But to be fair, the regenerative braking does most of the work. Kind of weird at first, but I got used to it. I found the direct drive with regenerative braking significantly less annoying than any automatic I've driven.

The screen was good and super responsive but I don't know if I want everything controlled via a screen.

Ojai Valley Inn has 6 Tesla chargers that the valets manage, so they took care of charging it up without even asking.

Bottom line is I think EVs are the future (and probably present), especially given energy cost savings and the lower maintenance requirements. I'd consider a Model 3 if I were replacing my S4, but would definitely want to see if other manufacturers do EV better than Tesla.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #327
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
So I at long last have driven a Tesla.

This was a Tesla Model Y Long Range rental from Hertz at LAX. Got over 150 miles of seat time in, so a decent amount of experience. Hertz has a staff member that will give short tutorials to Tesla virgins, which was helpful. He said they had over 1200 Teslas based at LAX and typically had over 1000 in the field on any particular day.

The acceleration and tech are obviously very impressive. I didn't notice any build quality issues on the rental, though materials quality could be better. Handling was decent, but let down by feeling free steering, braking, and suspension. But to be fair, the regenerative braking does most of the work. Kind of weird at first, but I got used to it. I found the direct drive with regenerative braking significantly less annoying than any automatic I've driven.

The screen was good and super responsive but I don't know if I want everything controlled via a screen.

Ojai Valley Inn has 6 Tesla chargers that the valets manage, so they took care of charging it up without even asking.

Bottom line is I think EVs are the future (and probably present), especially given energy cost savings and the lower maintenance requirements. I'd consider a Model 3 if I were replacing my S4, but would definitely want to see if other manufacturers do EV better than Tesla.

I think it depends on what you mean by “do EV better”. There are other EVs that offer better steering/brake/suspension tuning, design and interiors. There are cars that offer faster charging and range. But the consensus is that, as of now, if you regularly do long distance trips that require DC fast charging the ease and convenience of the Tesla supercharging network is hard to beat.

robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:30 AM   #328
nate
Oh, are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I think it depends on what you mean by “do EV better”. There are other EVs that offer better steering/brake/suspension tuning, design and interiors. There are cars that offer faster charging and range. But the consensus is that, as of now, if you regularly do long distance trips that require DC fast charging the ease and convenience of the Tesla supercharging network is hard to beat.

That's true. I very rarely do long driving trips, so almost all my charging would be at home.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:57 PM   #329
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Didn’t realize you hadn’t driven one. Let me know if you want to drive my 3 any time (although I really like my wife’s Y better…)
Old 10-21-2022, 11:48 AM   #330
nate
Oh, are they?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ukraine.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	15384