carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #61
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
"New research by Quality Control Systems Corporation (QCSC) has found that Tesla’s Autosteer may have made accidents more common instead of reducing crashes."

https://customgloves.us/autopilot-2/...b39U6NkMA7dLAI
Uh, I don't know what "Quality Control Systems Corporation" is, but my quick guess based on this utra-sketchy website is "plaintiffs' expert witness."

http://quality-control.us/

EDIT:
http://quality-control.us/abt_randy.html
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #62
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm constantly amazed that Tesla has managed to convince its customers to pay them to be allowed to beta test their "self driving" technology. That is some strong Kool-Aid.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #63
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Whether they have an agenda and/or lying, I don't know.. but this sure sounded suspicious

Quote:
the actual mileage at the time the Autosteer system was installed appears to have been reported for fewer than half the vehicles NHTSA studied,” the QCSC report said.

For those vehicles that do have apparent exact measurements of exposure mileage both before and after the software’s installation, the change in crash rates associated with Autosteer is opposite of that claimed by NHTSA
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #64
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm constantly amazed that Tesla has managed to convince its customers to pay them to be allowed to beta test their "self driving" technology. That is some strong Kool-Aid.
The Beta notion is just a cheap trick to dodge blame and help avoid law suits. Tesla's is better than all the other manufacturers self driving tech, and people pay for that as well.

What amazes me is not that the tech is being developed, or that people pay for it. It's that it is completely unregulated. Nothing stops companies from releasing half-baked software onto the roads. Do we need a driver's test for self driving cars? Hmmm, that seems hard so let's just let them do whatever they want.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #65
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Whether they have an agenda and/or lying, I don't know.. but this sure sounded suspicious
IIRC, there are significant problems with the data and/or analysis applied to data Tesla's given to NHTSA and NTSB. Sort of like the Abraham Wald WWII aircraft armor story making the FB rounds this past week. The data shows what it shows, not what it doesn't show.

In WWII, the military wanted to improve surivivability of combat aircraft, but they could use so many pounds of armor per plane before performance takes too big of a hit. They looked at planes post-mission and cataloged combat damage. A bunch of smart people looked at that data and first thought they should up-armor the areas that took the most damage: certain sections of fuselage and wings, stabilizers, etc.

Wald said, "maybe we should put armor where we didn't find any damage." His assumption was that if you looked at all aircraft that took damage, the damage would be evenly spread around all areas of the aircraft. Since they saw damage concentrated in certain areas (certain parts of fuselage and winds, stabilizers, etc), while other areas lacked damage in certain other areas, and they were only looking at aircraft that made it back, he concluded the planes that didn't make it back probably took damage in the areas that were devoid of damage in the data (engine, cockpit and fuel storage areas of the fuselage, fuel storage area of wings, etc).

Quote:
The Beta notion is just a cheap trick to dodge blame and help avoid law suits. Tesla's is better than all the other manufacturers self driving tech, and people pay for that as well.
Cheap shot alert, but true at the same time: How do you call Tesla's tech "better" when it's killing more people than all the other manufacturers?

Quote:
What amazes me is not that the tech is being developed, or that people pay for it. It's that it is completely unregulated. Nothing stops companies from releasing half-baked software onto the roads. Do we need a driver's test for self driving cars? Hmmm, that seems hard so let's just let them do whatever they want.
We agree on this.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #66
Nick M3
Relic

Tesla’s self-driving car tech may or may not be better than other’s. Tesla allows it to do a lot more, such that it’s by far the most *useful* self driving tech. In large part, of course, because Tesla seems to have a near unlimited risk tolerance.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #67
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Tesla seems to have a near unlimited risk tolerance.
I don't see the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJiDMC5XC-Y
Old 03-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #68
rumatt
Mugwump

I just found out that my office is installing two superchargers and 8 level 2 chargers (adding to the 6 level 2 they already have, but were always full).

This solves a huge percentage of the problems I have related to no charger in NYC. My office is also directly on the path from lake house to NYC apt, so even if I'm just driving from NYC I now have a semi-private supercharger 1000 yards off the highway. I'm psyched.

I don't know how installing private superchargers works, but I was told we just approved the budget for it, so I assume the cost is on us and not Tesla.

Last edited by rumatt; 03-08-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #69
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
That's awesome.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #70
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
This solves a huge percentage of the problems I have related to no charger in NYC. My office is also directly on the path from lake house to NYC apt, so even if I'm just driving from NYC I now have a semi-private supercharger 1000 yards off the highway. I'm psyched.
Are you sure it will solve your problem?

Quote:
I just found out that my office is installing two superchargers and 8 level 2 chargers (adding to the 6 level 2 they already have, but were always full).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote