carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority > Spit Shined

Old 05-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I think I may go for this. Meguiar's M2164 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0

It's a giant amount, but apparently the only way to get it and not crazy expensive.

I'm thinking it's probably time to retire my Griots Machine polishes (1, 2 & 3) from 15 years ago. I dunno that shaking them will get them back to snuff.

I can go Griots again, but Meguiar's Ultimate Polish seems to be highly rated.

EDIT: This seems even better
M105 and M205 are awesome.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
M105 and M205 are awesome.
I'm getting those two plus the sealer I linked. We'll see how that goes.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #13
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Are you talking about stuff you put in yourself, or the pricey ($1k+) service that is supposed to be permanent?
None of them are permanent.

There are DIY ceramic treatments that are not cheap, but they seem to have very good results. Mostly what I'm looking for is something I don't have to do very often but which keeps bugs and dirt from sticking. I've gotten some recommendations for DIY stuff that I'm trying to convince myself to pony up the cash for.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Well, it's done. Sad to see more rock chips than I'd like, but the car looks great.

Very impressed with the Meguiar's products I used. The 205 polishing compound provided a deep glossy finish while still able to remove remnants of bug splatter form the Fatherland as well as minor scratches. Also, pretty easy to work with and remove.

The wax/sealer (M2164) is a revelation. Slightly easier than Rejex to use and absurdly easy to remove. I fully waxed the entire car in under 45 minutes. It looks amazing in person. I hope it lasts.

Why anyone would want to use natural carnauba wax is beyond me. That blows.

Also, the car has very few areas I had to mask where I did not want wax to get on to. Just the sides of the windshield, the moon roof gasket, and the vents behind the front wheels.

Attached photo does not do the car justice, but there it is anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3 detailed.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	617.1 KB
ID:	12386  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
Alan
Carmudgeon

Your car really looks great, what a beautiful color and the shine coming through in the pictures is just amazing.

Rock chips suck but are a part of life, I had a bunch on the R8 (probably 30 to 40) on the nose and hood. While the Porsche isn't horrible I just had it wet sanded by the rear 'hips' of the car where it had quite a bunch of small little chips.

Have you ever considered going with some type of protective material like Xpel ?

Did you do the entire job by hand or did you use the Buffer ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #16
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Your car really looks great, what a beautiful color and the shine coming through in the pictures is just amazing.

Rock chips suck but are a part of life, I had a bunch on the R8 (probably 30 to 40) on the nose and hood. While the Porsche isn't horrible I just had it wet sanded by the rear 'hips' of the car where it had quite a bunch of small little chips.

Have you ever considered going with some type of protective material like Xpel ?

Did you do the entire job by hand or did you use the Buffer ?
I considered film, but 1) didn't like the look and cost and 2) didn't expect the number of chips I already got.

In retrospect I might have done it. Also, my foot injury made everything else not matter for a few months. At this point, I don't know that it is worth it.

I have the Porter random orbital I bought way back when I got my ZHP in 2003. Still works well.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #17
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Looks awesome from far.

That really is a great color
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Anyone ever heard of this stuff?

https://topcoat.store/pages/videos
Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Anyone ever heard of this stuff?

https://topcoat.store/pages/videos
Sounds amazing. A little hard to believe though. The application and removal with MF towel makes little sense to me.

And it's very expensive and you seem to need a bunch. The value proposition is not what it seems. I've bought a lot of car care products over the last 20 years and it's possible that in those two decades I may have cracked $1k, but I doubt it. The idea that people drop "thousands" on that stuff is crazy.

I can see that bottle doing one car. Presumably you need to do this 3-4 times a year. That's a couple of hundred bucks a year and far more than I spend on car care.

If it works as advertised it is worth it from a time savings sense, but I am skeptical.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #20
kognito
older fart than ZBB

The front, top "cap" of my RV is suffering from being in the sun all the time. The cap is made of fiberglass and I have no idea how to treat/restore it.

I guess that do to my searches, this stuff appeared in my FB feed. The comments on the post all seemed very good, but mostly from motorcycle owners (less metal and fairings to treat I guess)

My RV is only a few years old, but the brown color of the front cap is almost completely faded. I tried a tiny spot with Nu Finish, and that helped, but is not the answer.

Maybe I should ask at some local marina's as I do live on a huge lake with lots and lots of fiberglass boats