carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 07-25-2005, 01:28 AM   #11
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

Worst thing that happened to autocross was the relaxing of Blue Laws. Used to be EVERY mall had lot space available on Sundays.

We used to have MANY lots, in fact each club had a specific lots, and there were lots of little clubs running autocrosses.

Oh well, just keep looking.

And what's wrong with Aberdeen? I like the location.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #12
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Re: Koni's rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
710s might be on the radar next year, depending on what happens, but I'm concerned about cording them. Does my stock camber setup have enough camber to keep them wearing evenly?
Rumor has it that the edges hold up pretty well. The edges of mine look OK after 14 runs. I know a guy running his E46 M3 in A-stock, so he's also camber challenged, and he said his are holding up really well. I'll let you know how long mine end up lasting. I'm still undecided whether it would be worth $100 to rotate them at some point. I've heard bad stories about folks who flipped them too late into their life.

Oh, and the Koni install is pretty easy. You just need a spring compressor.

Quote:
The big problem that I have with autocrossing the ZHP has nothing to do with the suspension or handling. It's the power (or lack thereof). After getting used to the rip the tail sideways power of the M3, the 330 just feels slow.
That's funny. For me it was the exact opposite. I was worried about why the car wouldn't go around corners, and why I sucked so much at driving. When I was slow in a straight, it was usually because I screwed up the previous corner.

I think it depends what your goal is. If you just want to go out there, have fun, and tear up the course, then everything you've said makes a lot sense. But I'd take a well setup 330 that is competitive in its class any day over an uncompetitive M3 that allowed me to do Bren-style dukes of hazzard drifts through the whole course.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 AM   #13
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
But I'd take a well setup 330 that is competitive in its class any day over an uncompetitive M3 that allowed me to do Bren-style dukes of hazzard drifts through the whole course.
Well, that was my favorite show as a kid
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Quote:
But I'd take a well setup 330 that is competitive in its class any day over an uncompetitive M3 that allowed me to do Bren-style dukes of hazzard drifts through the whole course.
Well, that was my favorite show as a kid
Speaking of tail-out drifts... is there any chance I can bum a ride in your car at the next NCC autocross? Name your price...
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #15
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
Speaking of tail-out drifts... is there any chance I can bum a ride in your car at the next NCC autocross? Name your price...
Did you pick up that Z06 yet?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:36 AM   #16
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
(kicking stones)

NO....

(walking away)
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:41 AM   #17
bren
lawn boy

What else do you have to offer?

Seriously though, I don't have a problem with you running it but I won't be at the next event.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:47 AM   #18
Andy
Realist

Congratulations on your 1st place finish!! 2nd in PAX too? That's impressive!! Sounds like it's time to start traveling outside your region a little more. You might want to consider running divisionals or even the national tours… it will only make you faster.

I totally agree with what you've done with the car… build the car with the best stuff and to the max extent of the rules and then grow into the car. That way, you'll know for sure that your performance is a direct result of driver skill, not the car.

The only thing I would suggest… and keep in mind this totally depends on your budget and your goals (i.e. if you want to be competitive at the national level)… I would continue to run the V710s at all of your events (no matter if it's just a regional). Reason being, you want to learn the extreme limits of the car in full competitive race trim in order to take full advantage of your seat time. It does get expensive this way. One way to help that is to run fewer events by just running divisionals and national tours… plus, if you're already kicking butt regionally, it really is time to move up to the next level.

Again congrats, sounds like you're doing well!!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:09 PM   #19
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
You might want to consider running divisionals or even the national tours… it will only make you faster.
I'll be at DC next weekend, and am looking forward to being reminded how much I still suck. The event last weekend was filled with a LOT of n00bs.. trust me on that one.

I'm kinda bummed that the only remaining big event is Topeka. I'm mostly convinced that I won't be attending that one. Are there any other "decent sized" events in the north east this year?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:45 PM   #20
Andy
Realist

Quote:
Are there any other "decent sized" events in the north east this year?
Have you thought about doing a ProSolo? The Toledo Pro is coming up Aug 5-7. I think the Denver Tour is the last national and Toledo is the last Pro before Topeka. I’d encourage you to make the trek out to KS, I guarantee you’d have blast!!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote