Old 02-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Driving the Trans-America Trail - Jay Leno's Garage

Might be a repost. Sorry if it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AObw4sFMdQ

Pretty awesome.

Maybe I should try it when my boys get older.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Very cool find, FC.

The scenes where they go through Colorado were very reminiscent of our trip there a couple summers back. In fact, we were in the same towns and on some of the same trails with the Jeep we rented.

In fact, this was one of the bridges they drove over in the video. It's in the ghost mining town of Animas Forks between Silverton and Ouray. Definitely a cool place to explore. We ate lunch on the bank of the creek next to the bridge when we were there.

That video is basically what "Overlanding" is all about. It's something a friend of my is interested big time where you blend some "offloading" (or off-pavement travel) with longer distance expeditions and camping. The routes and trails aren't the technical stuff that I play on with my Jeep but it's good to have something with a little ground clearance and 4WD.

Check out the site expeditionportal.com. Most of the Overlanding crowd seems to go for the high-end of the market for almost everything. Some of it gets more than a little ridiculous especially coming from my own background in the Jeep community. But the gear and equipment are top not and very cool. Expo (as it's known) is run by Overland Journal and the whole thing is top not with great photography. They have pretty good forums, too, if you get back there.

I get a sense that if you or anyone else on this board were to get into off-pavement 4x4 travel it'd be more in the spirit of Overlanding.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
I get a sense that if you or anyone else on this board were to get into off-pavement 4x4 travel it'd be more in the spirit of Overlanding.
Definitely. I've always wanted to go off on a long "adventure." I though of driving to Labrador/Newfoundland. I'd love to drive to South America, but that Darien Gap/security issues keep it as a dream. Nevertheless, I would love to do a shorter trip with some camping, etc. Once my LR and the boys get a little older I can totally see doing this after school is out.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Very cool find, FC.

You pointing at me?? lol

I have been looking at used wranglers this week. (online, not in person) I just had to have another chunk of flesh removed from my back last Thursday, and right now I can not drive. I probably could get into the S4 right now, but exiting would put too much stress on the stitches. There is still one more mole they want to remove from my back, so I'll have to go through this again in a few more weeks

Would be much easier for me to get out of something a little higher right now.