carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #101
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
OT: A grey (dark silver?) GT3 RS drove by me yesterday and damn, that's an exotic looking car. Totally wasted outside of a track, but it sure looked cool.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #102
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I bet that can get up a leaf covered driveway.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #103
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Wow you can get 997.2's for that. I might have to include those in my search. That's a nice car.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #104
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I have that same style of wheel on my Boxster. Pretty rare option on them, maybe not so rare on the 911?

Nice car and nice price, though black over tan doesn't really work for me. Reminds me of when I see the accounting guys at work wearing black socks with brown shoes
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #105
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I have that same style of wheel on my Boxster. Pretty rare option on them, maybe not so rare on the 911?
I was going to comment on the wheels too - no they are not common. Those are the "autox famous" XRR wheels are they not?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #106
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:

Nice car and nice price, though black over tan doesn't really work for me. Reminds me of when I see the accounting guys at work wearing black socks with brown shoes
I have only ever seen those wheels on 987's a and never on a 911. This is the first time.

They have to be larger in the rear then the Boxster version I assume.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #107
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:

what interior color would you get then? Not sure if I would want black on black. grey shows wear like brown so a wash. Red?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #108
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I like black on tan/brown, but I just think Porsche's tan is too light. I wish it was darker, like the old E46 Natural Brown. I like that reddish-brown chestnut color interior BMW sometimes offers too, not sure what it's called.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #109
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I have only ever seen those wheels on 987's a and never on a 911. This is the first time.

They have to be larger in the rear then the Boxster version I assume.
Weird. I don't see many 997s, but when I do those wheels are frequently on them. I'm sure they're a different size

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I was going to comment on the wheels too - no they are not common. Those are the "autox famous" XRR wheels are they not?
I think they were XRR on the earlier cars, but the 987.2 had them as a "standard" option. They are 19x10" rear and 19x8.5" front.

Quote:
what interior color would you get then? Not sure if I would want black on black. grey shows wear like brown so a wash. Red?
Well, I'd never intentionally buy a black car because my detailing skills are lacking, but yes, black over black looks a lot better to me. Red looks gaudy to me.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:18 AM   #110
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
What's wrong with black on black ??

It's funny right now 4 out of the 5 cars I have are black ... 2 of them are black on black (991 and R8) and 2 of them are black with a light tan though the 550 is almost like a whitish tan called ivory white. I think all of the combos look great.
On the sports cars the black on black fits them perfectly though my 997 was black on tan and I thought that was beautiful as well,

I guess I'm not quite as picky as some here I was just happy at the time to find a 997 with super low mileage (6k) in Perfect condition.

My favorite combo would have been the black/black which I have on the 991 but with that car I was able to order it exactly the way I wanted it from the factory.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote