carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
Plaz
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Location: Churzee
Posts: 17,738
Rattling brake pads

So, I thought it was my UUC swaybar endlinks again, but I replaced those with the MUCH better upgraded ones... and the rattling remained.

I finally figured out that it is my rear brakes that are driving me slowly insane with their noise... the rattling disappears when I put even a tiny bit of pressure on the pedal.

I lifted the back of the car tonight, took off a wheel, and figured out exactly what's rattling... the inside pads. They've got just enough wiggle room to make a racket. The hex bolts that hold the caliper are torqued just about as tight as I could get them with the leverage a regular socket wrench can provide.

So know the question I'm trying to answer is, did I do something wrong installing the pads, or is it just a case of poor fitment? They're Hawk ceramic pads.

Anyone have any idea of ways to address this? Or is the only answer to put other pads on?
__________________
2011 1M
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,883
Re: Rattling brake pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
So, I thought it was my UUC swaybar endlinks again, but I replaced those with the MUCH better upgraded ones... and the rattling remained.

I finally figured out that it is my rear brakes that are driving me slowly insane with their noise... the rattling disappears when I put even a tiny bit of pressure on the pedal.

I lifted the back of the car tonight, took off a wheel, and figured out exactly what's rattling... the inside pads. They've got just enough wiggle room to make a racket. The hex bolts that hold the caliper are torqued just about as tight as I could get them with the leverage a regular socket wrench can provide.

So know the question I'm trying to answer is, did I do something wrong installing the pads, or is it just a case of poor fitment? They're Hawk ceramic pads.

Anyone have any idea of ways to address this? Or is the only answer to put other pads on?
Aren't there shim kits for that?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
bren
lawn boy
 
bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,029
Did you put anti-squeal compound on the pads?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
Plaz
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Location: Churzee
Posts: 17,738
Re: Rattling brake pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Aren't there shim kits for that?
__________________
2011 1M
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:17 PM   #5
Plaz
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Location: Churzee
Posts: 17,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Did you put anti-squeal compound on the pads?
No, I didn't... does anti-squeal compound address more than just squeal? How would it help rattling?
__________________
2011 1M
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:28 PM   #6
bren
lawn boy
 
bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Did you put anti-squeal compound on the pads?
No, I didn't... does anti-squeal compound address more than just squeal? How would it help rattling?
Yeah, it sorta "cushions" the pad against the caliper. Give it a try....
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
lip277
The old cranky SOB....
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Location: Near Seattle
Posts: 4,440
I know the PO of my 740i had issues with the UUC brakes he installed. I seem to recall one of them was the pads were moving around a bit and causing a knocking sound. It was solved by changing out to a different pad.

Again - This all pre-dates my taking the car. All I know is that the brakes as they are now are GREAT. NO noise other than my wife squealing if I hit the pedal real hard...

I have the Akebono (sp?) ceramic ones installed as I remember. That and there was an 'anti rattle' shim/filler involved... I don't have the notes on my car handy now otherwise I'd look it up for you.

Good luck -
__________________
Kevin


1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:41 PM   #8
Plaz
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Location: Churzee
Posts: 17,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Did you put anti-squeal compound on the pads?
No, I didn't... does anti-squeal compound address more than just squeal? How would it help rattling?
Yeah, it sorta "cushions" the pad against the caliper. Give it a try....
Thanks, I'll do that. Do I actually goop it on all over the little metal "hangers?"
__________________
2011 1M
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:44 PM   #9
bren
lawn boy
 
bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Did you put anti-squeal compound on the pads?
No, I didn't... does anti-squeal compound address more than just squeal? How would it help rattling?
Yeah, it sorta "cushions" the pad against the caliper. Give it a try....
Thanks, I'll do that. Do I actually goop it on all over the little metal "hangers?"
Smear it on the backside of the pad where ever it touches anything.

bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
Plaz
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Location: Churzee
Posts: 17,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Smear it on the backside of the pad where ever it touches anything.
Gotcha. Thanks again.
__________________
2011 1M
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC