carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wow it is crazy you can't get those options, we were able to get the Parking Assist pkg and Exec pkg (which as you know has the premium pkg options and some other extra's) for my daughters 2021 X3 but when the car arrived it did not have the passengers seat lumbar or width adjustment which was a bit of a surprise, they gave us a $150 credit.

I see on the 2022 5 series no Parking assist package is available either (for those that don't know this package gives you all of the surround camera's in addition to the rear camera).
Folks buying these as used cars in years ahead had better be super careful about understanding what they're getting.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #12
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
BMW got the styling right on the X3. Thank God.
Hmm… let me attach a front view. These connected kidneys need to go…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wow it is crazy you can't get those options, we were able to get the Parking Assist pkg and Exec pkg (which as you know has the premium pkg options and some other extra's) for my daughters 2021 X3 but when the car arrived it did not have the passengers seat lumbar or width adjustment which was a bit of a surprise, they gave us a $150 credit.

I see on the 2022 5 series no Parking assist package is available either (for those that don't know this package gives you all of the surround camera's in addition to the rear camera).
No width adjustment on either seat for 2022.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27A8B4CF-9206-4446-AD06-BCC1BD75F047.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	13809  
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #13
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Hmm… let me attach a front view. These connected kidneys need to go…

No width adjustment on either seat for 2022.
The updated lights look great. Are those grills active? They look closed.

Also why are the grills not black?
Old 09-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #14
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Same for this X3. No wireless charger, no digital key, and no lumbar on the passenger seat, yet it is on the driver’s seat. The optional HK, Driving Assistance Professional Package, Parking Assistance Package, and Premium Package is currently unavailable. Naturally all the optional items are available on the M40i.
Interesting. Weird about the lumbar-- i can't think of what "chips" are involved in adding lumbar support to a seat. I know some automakers (like Porsche) have said they'll eventually retrofit/provide some items that were missing. Is BMW offering anything like that or is it just take it or leave it?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #15
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Weeks away from 80 he is still a practicing physician as well. Stopped performing surgery in 2020.
My grandfather was an MD and practiced until he was in his early 80s although he quit performing surgeries in his 60s. He tried retiring a couple times, which never lasted more than a couple months. For the last several years, he worked 1 day a week (and the occasional full week) for the fire dept - basically filling in for other doctors when they were off or on vacation at their in-house clinic. I think he basically volunteered as long as his malpractice insurance was covered!

Unfortunately, he was in a very bad car accident when he was 83-84 — he pulled out of a parking lot and he didn’t see the oncoming car, which t-boned his car and barely missed him. My mom and her sisters wouldn’t let him drive after he recovered and he decided to fully retire. He passed a few years later at 88…
Old 09-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #16
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Interesting. Weird about the lumbar-- i can't think of what "chips" are involved in adding lumbar support to a seat. I know some automakers (like Porsche) have said they'll eventually retrofit/provide some items that were missing. Is BMW offering anything like that or is it just take it or leave it?
Everything is controlled by microprocessors these days…

Good point about avoiding 2021-2022 model years down the road though.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #17
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
My grandfather was an MD and practiced until he was in his early 80s although he quit performing surgeries in his 60s. He tried retiring a couple times, which never lasted more than a couple months. For the last several years, he worked 1 day a week (and the occasional full week) for the fire dept - basically filling in for other doctors when they were off or on vacation at their in-house clinic. I think he basically volunteered as long as his malpractice insurance was covered!

Unfortunately, he was in a very bad car accident when he was 83-84 — he pulled out of a parking lot and he didn’t see the oncoming car, which t-boned his car and barely missed him. My mom and her sisters wouldn’t let him drive after he recovered and he decided to fully retire. He passed a few years later at 88…

Oh wow my grandfather had the exact same thing happen when he was in his early 80s. He wasn’t badly hurt in the accident but he did have a stroke a few months later which led to his decline and eventual death at 87

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #18
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
The updated lights look great. Are those grills active? They look closed.

Also why are the grills not black?
Yes, active kidneys. The black kidneys with black exhaust finishers were optional and my parents are not fans so they did not order. I read that BMW recently removed them due to Covid constraints and I just checked their website, gone… FYI, the black kidneys also omits the chrome accents in the headlights which makes them appear even smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
BMW deducts $150 or $175 from the MSRP. I cannot recall the exact amount.

Premium Package is back. Oh well, we added most of what was in it and he will not miss gesture control or HUD.

Last edited by SCA; 09-22-2021 at 03:31 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:43 PM   #19
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Everything is controlled by microprocessors these days…

Good point about avoiding 2021-2022 model years down the road though.
Not quite sure you would need to avoid them just be careful if you are concerned about certain options.

Our 2021 M340 & M550 came with all the options ordered. While the X3 was missing those items on the passenger seat everything else we ordered came with it (and it was a pretty loaded car), also I find the passengers seat very comfortable and I don't even notice these things are missing.

What I am seeing though on the 2022 models some options are unavailable which hopefully is for the short term but who knows
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #20
Nick M3
Relic

there's something about the giant wheels that makes these look smaller than they actually are.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote