This is quite the indictment of PHEVs.

(WSJ paywall)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-plu...imessage_share
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
For those of us that work in the industry, this is not news…. Only a very small percent of PHEV drivers routinely plug them in. They are sold as a baby step towards full electric, but really don’t do much.

In our case, my wife considered getting the PHEV version of the Mini Countryman. But she ended up not liking the compromises and went ahead and ordered the Y…
Old 09-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #3
robg
Carmudgeon

Was nice to read a Dan Neil column again. Haven't really read much from him since he went behind the WSJ paywall.

PHEVs do seem like a great idea on paper but the reality hasn't been so great. As the artilce points out, they are less about solving a customer need than complying w/ various regs around the world. If I had one, in theory I'd plug it in each night so as to drive on EV powr for around town errands. The probem is that most PHEVs are horribly slow when running EV only (0-60 times in the teens in some cases). So far, only the Chevy Volt has gotten it right but that is no longer.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I was all hot for the X3 PHEV when I was looking at SUVs. I might very well have bought one at the time, but then they had problems with the batteries.

Really just as well. I am now more likely just to add a straight-up EV to the fleet at some point.

Apropos, I saw an ID4 in a parking lot the other day. Very decent looking. Kind of like the new RAV4. Good size, too.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Was nice to read a Dan Neil column again. Haven't really read much from him since he went behind the WSJ paywall.

PHEVs do seem like a great idea on paper but the reality hasn't been so great. As the artilce points out, they are less about solving a customer need than complying w/ various regs around the world. If I had one, in theory I'd plug it in each night so as to drive on EV powr for around town errands. The probem is that most PHEVs are horribly slow when running EV only (0-60 times in the teens in some cases). So far, only the Chevy Volt has gotten it right but that is no longer.
Other than the infrastructure thing, and by this, I mean accessibility to all marques the way that Exxon and Chevron are to all comers, if the median income is what it is (it’s not a lot) and these vehicles are expensive (they are) — most people are not going to adopt these vehicles.

It’s just not practical yet. Most people drive on trips for holidays and vacations and you’re asking them to constrain their lives around the limitations of the current EVs. It’s just not a thing for middle class America yet.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Apropos, I saw an ID4 in a parking lot the other day. Very decent looking.
Agreed. I saw one (white) in the highway.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
JST

I don't understand the ID.4 when compared to the Mach E, I really don't.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
To me, the ID.4 fits the VW styling aesthetic well. So it is more mainstream to their constituency.

The Mach-E still seems like a one-off. It’s new design language for Ford, who are infamous for changing styling direction aggressively every few years.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yep. I haven't looked in detail at the specs, but i'm pretty sure the Mach-E beats the ID4 in almost every category. Depending on the day/color sometimes i prfer the more VW design language of the ID4 but I think most people would say the Mach E is more attractive.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #10
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
I don't really see them as competitors.

The base model ID.4 starts at $40k vs $43k for the Mach E. The top-end trim/power output are $50k and $60k respectively (without options)...

Thats 7.5 to 20% higher pricing... Ford really has positioned the Mach E as a premium vehicle, while the ID.4 is in the non-premium space (which leaves VAG room for an Audi version...).