carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-10-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I've been tracking the Camaro daily (because I'm obsessive) at Carvana and Carmax (and a separate Carmax offer you can get through edmunds.com, too) and Vroom weekly. The past few Vroom offers have been about $6k (~13%) more than I paid for it (Carmax and Carvana have been right about or just under what I paid) which is enough to make consider for a moment, but the question is "What do I get when this is still the car I want?"

It gets a little more interesting when I put info in for my wife's 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. The car has 55k and a fair number of dings and scratches. It cleans up nice, but will need a little reconditioning and I think I've accurately entered its condition into those online appraisers (possibly even been more critical). Mostly, it has 55k on it. I paid $28ish just over two years ago. Carmax is offering $25,400 and Vroom $26,000. An identical (but with fixed gas tank) new 2021 stickers for $29,975.

The problem there is that we'd probably have to travel a couple hundred miles to be able to buy one at or under MSRP. The local dealers are looking for $2-$5k over MSRP on the handful of cars in inventory. For a RAV4 Hybrid? The fuck?

My wife isn't wed to another RAV4 Hybrid, but she wants something that comparable in size/utility with similar or better mileage, but I don't think we want to spend much more than low $30s. Maybe a little more for something fully electric. So, I'm thinking Mach-E, ID4, and, weirdly, maybe Ford Maverick. I don't think we'll make a serious effort here, but starting to explore. If it's going to take a while to get one of those new vehicles, is her current car going to be worth the same when we get there? And, if it is, will it take more to buy one as well?

For Fil...I might think about a lower cost beater for the short term that could then potentially serve in a utility role after getting the "real" vehicle at whatever point in the future.
Ford is offering incentives on custom order cars; I assume other manufacturers are, as well. The Escape Hybrid seems closest to what you've already got, though it's a whole lot more expensive than the Maverick. There seem to be a fair number of them locally on lots.

Honestly, I would jump at the chance to replace your existing RAV4 with a new one even if it required a drive to pick up. 55K miles is a fair amount of miles, and you'll never get close to this kind of trade in value again.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #12
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
For giggles I put our CX-5 into Vroom, Carvana and kbb.

KBB trade-in: 20,000-$21000 (roughly)
Vroom offer: $18,751
Carvana offer: $14,760

I wasn't expecting the range to be that large.
How many miles on it?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #13
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
How many miles on it?
64,000-ish
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #14
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
How many miles on it?
WDC's brain is coming up w/ the 2er as her only car plan again so she can profit on her CX-5...

I'm in for another 2 yr waffling thread for your next SUV.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:37 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
WDC's brain is coming up w/ the 2er as her only car plan again so she can profit on her CX-5...

I'm in for another 2 yr waffling thread for your next SUV.
Nice try!

I am actually plotting how to get a decent, reliable used car for my kid...
Old 06-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #16
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Nice try!

I am actually plotting how to get a decent, reliable used car for my kid...
I think that the answer is wait a while or overpay by a lot.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #17
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I think that the answer is wait a while or overpay by a lot.
Definitely. Especially since he seems to want a truck. And I kind of want one, too. He could make some $$ doing yard work and that would be handy for it.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #18
JST

Quote:
Definitely. Especially since he seems to want a truck. And I kind of want one, too. He could make some $$ doing yard work and that would be handy for it.
Maverick.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #19
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ford is offering incentives on custom order cars; I assume other manufacturers are, as well. The Escape Hybrid seems closest to what you've already got, though it's a whole lot more expensive than the Maverick. There seem to be a fair number of them locally on lots.

Honestly, I would jump at the chance to replace your existing RAV4 with a new one even if it required a drive to pick up. 55K miles is a fair amount of miles, and you'll never get close to this kind of trade in value again.
The price point on the Maverick makes it really compelling, but the Escape kind of leaves me flat. Not sure what she would think of it. The idea of a Mach-E or ID4 is intriguing. Another RAV4 is the safe bet because it would only paying a little bit of money to restart the clock on something she already really likes. Going to wait for her to see if she gets more comfortable with any of those ideas.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #20
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The price point on the Maverick makes it really compelling, but the Escape kind of leaves me flat. Not sure what she would think of it. The idea of a Mach-E or ID4 is intriguing. Another RAV4 is the safe bet because it would only paying a little bit of money to restart the clock on something she already really likes. Going to wait for her to see if she gets more comfortable with any of those ideas.
The price point on the Maverick does make it compelling, but it's also confusing as fuck. There's no logic to the idea that the Maverick should cost that much less than an Escape, really, other than the fact that Escapes cost too much and Ford needs a cheaper vehicle that doesn't suck as hard as the EcoSport (which, BTW, is *more* expensive than the Maverick).

That said, owning a Maverick means owning a super short bed pickup, which...I don't need and doesn't help me? It's less useful than a sedan for me, because it doesn't have covered storage, and even if you put a cap on it, it's still less useful than an SUV for me because the seats can't go down.

I understand why a small subset of people are excited about a cheap pickup. I understand why a bigger subset of people are excited about a cheap hybrid. I just think at the end of the day a lot of people that buy the Maverick will buy it in spite of the fact that it's a pickup, not because of it.