Looks like NHTSA is finally starting an investigation

https://www.consumerreports.org/auto...s-a6996819019/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #262
clyde
Chief title editor

https://insideevs.com/news/534878/te...tor-fail-rain/

Thumbnail version: Remember when Musk tweeted that his cars were so tight they could be boats? That's just for context. Dude drives his 2014 S in the rain, water enters the drive unit because of shitty seals, drive unit dies a week later. 8 year unlimited mile drive unit warranty should apply. Tesla denies coverage, implying it's because of water intrusion, but won't explicitly say that. Shitty seals are a known problem area in the third party Tesla repair community. Tesla won't give the guy a written description of the damage or provide photos they say they have of water in the drive unit. However, they have offered to replace a harness they think might be bad because of water intrusion. Dude did not drive through a flooded area, car was not parked in an area that flooded. He drove it in the rain.

Manufacturers deny warranty coverage for repairs/replacement all the time. Most of them are more than happy to express in great detail why. Others are straight up dicks lacking basic human, fuck that, lacking basic corporate manners.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #263
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
That's crazy.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #264
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It sucks, but it doesn't sound that different from the shit every other manufacturer's dealers pull
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #265
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Time to breathe some life into this thread. By the way, I've met Ballaban and Jason a few times at Jalopnik parties, down-to-earth, straightforward people. I agree with Jason on almost everything. Not so much with Ballaban, as a long time ago even, he was very much a pro-self driving guy (think 2016)... That he gets vilified by this crowd (including the CEO suggesting that the review is fake) says a lot. It's an emperor without clothes moment.

https://jalopnik.com/this-take-on-cn...lut-1848092277
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #266
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Time to breathe some life into this thread. By the way, I've met Ballaban and Jason a few times at Jalopnik parties, down-to-earth, straightforward people. I agree with Jason on almost everything. Not so much with Ballaban, as a long time ago even, he was very much a pro-self driving guy (think 2016)... That he gets vilified by this crowd (including the CEO suggesting that the review is fake) says a lot. It's an emperor without clothes moment.

https://jalopnik.com/this-take-on-cn...lut-1848092277

Oh boy. I’m kind of exhausted by Tesla, it’s hardcore fans and musk at this point. Do they have to be such incredible aholes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #267
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Oh boy. I’m kind of exhausted by Tesla, it’s hardcore fans and musk at this point. Do they have to be such incredible aholes?
+1

I have several neighbors with Teslas, one husband and wife now with a 3 and a Y. I have noticed that the Tesla owners within our neighborhood have very inflated egos, but truthfully it is on par for this neighborhood.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #268
clyde
Chief title editor

So, Tesla enables playing video games while their murder machines are in motion:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/07/b...e-driving.html

NHSTA says WTF?!
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/b...mes-nhtsa.html

NHSTA also says
“It’s incredibly frustrating,” said Jennifer Homendy, the safety board’s chair. “We’re trying to warn the public and tell Tesla, ‘Hey, you need to put some safeguards in.’ But they haven’t.”

Tesla says, "Yeah, we know. So what?"
"Tesla appeared to be aware the new games can be played while the car is in motion. A warning shows up on the screen before the game starts that reads, “Solitaire is for everyone but playing while the car is in motion is only for passengers.” The system asks for confirmation that the person seeking to play the game is a passenger, but there is nothing preventing drivers from clicking the button and starting a game."

Back to the thread title. Fuck these guys.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #269
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Fuck these guys.
Yup.

But hey, these guys are busy doing important things, like debugging fart noises and choreographing flapping doors.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #270
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
They have all those cameras inside so seems like it would be pretty easy to determine if the driver is playing the game...
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote