carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #1801
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Off topic, but I always forget you have a 718. Would be interested to hear your long term impressions of it if you get a chance to write down your thoughts. A friend of mine is considering buying one.
Pm sent
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:23 PM   #1802
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Paging JV. Care for a 911 instead of a Cayman?

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1270282

Edit: Whoa ugly interior. And pricey?

Holy crack pipe… way overpriced. Low mileage, manual 991.1 C2S are selling in the high $70s to $80-82k depending on options. I have been cross shopping them against the 997.2 C2S.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:56 PM   #1803
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Holy crack pipe… way overpriced. Low mileage, manual 991.1 C2S are selling in the high $70s to $80-82k depending on options. I have been cross shopping them against the 997.2 C2S.
Too much money indeed.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #1804
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Robg, I can't speak for Alan, but I think he uses the 718 as a runabout, not as a halo/special car. He still keeps a 991.1 and sometimes R8's and stuff as well. Based on your posts, I think you should stick to 6-cylinder porsches. In fact one of the reasons I pulled the trigger on my 2013 S in 2016 was when I heard the 2017 was coming with a turbo 4.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #1805
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Robg, I can't speak for Alan, but I think he uses the 718 as a runabout, not as a halo/special car. He still keeps a 991.1 and sometimes R8's and stuff as well. Based on your posts, I think you should stick to 6-cylinder porsches. In fact one of the reasons I pulled the trigger on my 2013 S in 2016 was when I heard the 2017 was coming with a turbo 4.

Totally agree. A friend of mine is considering a 718 so that’s why I asked (this guy literally sends me a different config every day …)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #1806
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Totally agree. A friend of mine is considering a 718 so that’s why I asked (this guy literally sends me a different config every day …)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My take on the 911 versus Boxster is that both have slightly different focal points. The overlap is there, of course. But the Boxster is always more agile. The car feels alive and intuitive. But it starts to lose steam quickly at the typical very high highway speeds that LA people use on the 5/405/101. You wish you had some afterburner function just for passing.

The 911 feels like it doesn’t wake up until about 50-60mph. And then everything feels tuned for 75-110mpg to be honest. On local roads, people always tell me that the 987 feels quicker than the 996 C4S or the 996TT which is what I would agree with.

If you don’t do a lot of overtaking or high speed runs, the mid engine Porsche is The Best Platform on the road. You just can’t trust a McLaren or Lambo to be reliable —that’s not how they’re incentivized. One is “Innovation”, the other is to ham up “exotic ness”. So that leaves Porsche as the only adult in the room typically.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #1807
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
My take on the 911 versus Boxster is that both have slightly different focal points. The overlap is there, of course. But the Boxster is always more agile. The car feels alive and intuitive. But it starts to lose steam quickly at the typical very high highway speeds that LA people use on the 5/405/101. You wish you had some afterburner function just for passing.

The 911 feels like it doesn’t wake up until about 50-60mph. And then everything feels tuned for 75-110mpg to be honest. On local roads, people always tell me that the 987 feels quicker than the 996 C4S or the 996TT which is what I would agree with.

If you don’t do a lot of overtaking or high speed runs, the mid engine Porsche is The Best Platform on the road. You just can’t trust a McLaren or Lambo to be reliable —that’s not how they’re incentivized. One is “Innovation”, the other is to ham up “exotic ness”. So that leaves Porsche as the only adult in the room typically.
I mean, sure. Speaking from experience in the '07 TT and F80, those cars will obliterate traffic at 60-100mph video game-style when in the optimal gear. The TT was just violent in 2nd gear in a way that elicited giggles but wasn't actually all that enjoyable.

The 987S actually gave you time to enjoy the revs building up, sounded great, and was still pretty damn quick.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #1808
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Right... I haven't driven any variation of current Boxster/Cayman but my guess is that they'd have no trouble keeping up/passing at any US highway speed (on the low end you've now got turbos and the high end you've got a big 4.0 motor). With sport chrono, you now get "sport response" mode where they overboost the engine for 20 seconds or so which might help as well (no idea what it does if you have the 4.0 engine). Alan could probably confirm whether that's true. Of course if you're used to 911TT speed, yeah, i'm sure they'll all feel lethargic comparatively.

Totally agree that Porsche make the best overall mid-engine vehicle. I've always been intrigued by the Lotus Evora, but even with a Toyota engine, my sense is that they can be a pain.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #1809
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
SNIP
This may be true of the Turbo or higher level 911s, but I really strongly disagree with this based on my base 991.2 experience.

One of my favorite traits of the car is it feels equally fun on twisties at 35, 55, 75 or 105. I actually find myself driving slower in the 911 than I do in the 135. I think its because there is so much feedback that you don't need to be slamming it to get that 'tingly everything is happening feeling.' This may be a difference of the .2 cars vs the NA cars, with the added torque of the base engine not needing to be wound out to feel quick.

It is far more precise and 'surgical' than the 135, which is playful and puppy doggy. I really enjoy them both for what they are. I just don't think you need excessive speed to experience what the 911 offers.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:34 PM   #1810
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
This may be true of the Turbo or higher level 911s, but I really strongly disagree with this based on my base 991.2 experience.

One of my favorite traits of the car is it feels equally fun on twisties at 35, 55, 75 or 105. I actually find myself driving slower in the 911 than I do in the 135. I think its because there is so much feedback that you don't need to be slamming it to get that 'tingly everything is happening feeling.' This may be a difference of the .2 cars vs the NA cars, with the added torque of the base engine not needing to be wound out to feel quick.

It is far more precise and 'surgical' than the 135, which is playful and puppy doggy. I really enjoy them both for what they are. I just don't think you need excessive speed to experience what the 911 offers.
I don’t think I’m ruining anything for anyone here when I say that pre-boost (and there is tons of lag) the 991.2TT feels pretty inert and it’s at the speeds where the 987 feels so light and responsive even with its little hamster engine.

By the time the boost is on boil, there is nowhere for me to go and it’s kind of boring/fun/exhilarating/frustrating.