carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Porsche 992 observations

I was tracking one this morning on my drive into work.

I think it works better in some colors than others? In person, the width of the car really comes out. I was following a darker red car (standard 911).

I think the car looks great when you see it coming? The side profile is nice. The rear…..I’m not sold on that Macan/Taycan/Cayenne/911 common light bar look. All I can think about is how it looks like a Ridley Scott Alien with that weird misshapen ass.

And then when the spoiler deploys? I’m sorry, guys, but that’s the dumbest looking thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

It’s like a floor tile in my kitchen deploying to deflect spills or something. I get the intent? More surface? But it looks so stupid and inelegant.

I never super warmed the 991 styling, but honestly, seeing more 992s, now I kind of sigh in relief when I see a 991 or 997 even.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
SCA
Jaded

I like the styling of the 992 but, I am not a player for what one cost in order to get the manual in the C2S. I am now looking at early manual 991.1s since the 997.2 manuals are scarce and the decent ones are commanding as much as a 991.1 if not more.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

confession: I cannot keep track of the 99X.Y 911 stuff. (I also long ago lost track of the EXX stuff in the BMW world...well before they introduced FXX and GXX. Are there GXXs?)

It's as bad and stupid as the FU2-69MF electronics type naming conventions.

WTF is wrong with using names or words?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
confession: I cannot keep track of the 99X.Y 911 stuff. (I also long ago lost track of the EXX stuff in the BMW world...well before they introduced FXX and GXX. Are there GXXs?)

I mean, the .1 and .2 thing in the Porsche world makes a whole lot more sense than the BMW LCI thing.

But yeah, BMW has gone completely bonkers with its platform naming. There were Fs and now Gs, and for whatever reason M cars get their own numbers wholly distinct from the cars they're based on.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

And, really, I've tried to look it up and keep track of it a number of times, but it just leaks out of my head.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:

Sorry. Current brand new 911s.

The ones with the ugly ass red light bar across the back.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #7
robg
Carmudgeon

Agree on the way the spoiler looks when its deployed. But maybe it'll discourage people from just leaving it up all the time for looks.

For me, the lightbar looks fine on the Taycan and 992.... I'm actually not a fan of it on the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera as much. There are some slight differences in the way that implement it on various models that makes or breaks it for me.

One thing I've noticed is that it is really hard to tell whether its a Taycan, Panamera or 992 if you see one driving toward you. Yeah in theory the Taycan has differnet shaped headlights and those side gills, but on the road they all end up looking really similar from the front.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote