carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #11
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
As for full BEV, there are a bunch of new models slated to go on sale that look intriguing. All 3 vehicles on Hyundai's e-GMP platform look excellent (I think I like the Kia EV6 best, but the Hyundai Ioniq 5and Genesis GV60 are also interesting designs).

But we do need more lower priced EVs to come out -- need to get the base price into the mid 20s with over 200 miles of range for the curve to really start to shift on transitioning...

Last edited by ZBB; 09-07-2021 at 05:30 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #12
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I don't really see them as competitors.

The base model ID.4 starts at $40k vs $43k for the Mach E. The top-end trim/power output are $50k and $60k respectively (without options)...

Thats 7.5 to 20% higher pricing... Ford really has positioned the Mach E as a premium vehicle, while the ID.4 is in the non-premium space (which leaves VAG room for an Audi version...).
Okay. Fair point.

I ‘like’ the ID.4. I’ve seen one up close several times now and driven it around the block.

this is the right price point (to me).

I have a low bar though because I did own a Volt.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #13
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
As for full BEV, there are a bunch of new models slated to go on sale that look intriguing. All 3 vehicles on Hyundai's e-GMP platform look excellent (I think I like the Kia EV6 best, but the Hyundai Ioniq 5and Genesis GV60 are also interesting designs).

But we do need more lower priced EVs to come out -- need to get the base price into the mid 20s with over 200 miles of range for the curve to really start to shift on transitioning...
I keep scouring the interWebZ for CPO Taycans. I’m ready to make the leap (range is good).

(Anyone else see Porsche’s announcement that their full year’s forecast sold out in 6 months?)

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I keep scouring the interWebZ for CPO Taycans. I’m ready to make the leap (range is good).

(Anyone else see Porsche’s announcement that their full year’s forecast sold out in 6 months?)
I’ve seen them from time to time in the ATL market. Keep an eye on the two dealers here (Porsche of the Perimeter and Hennessy Porsche). Because we have the Porsche Driving Experience here, I suspect they order and churn through a lot of late-model Porsches.

Or course, LA redux and more convenient.

Edit: Three at Porsche Atlanta Perimeter https://www.porscheatlantaperimeter....l%5B%5D=Taycan

Two at Hennessy: https://www.hennessyporsche.com/used...tory/index.htm
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:08 PM   #15
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I don't really see them as competitors.

The base model ID.4 starts at $40k vs $43k for the Mach E. The top-end trim/power output are $50k and $60k respectively (without options)...

Thats 7.5 to 20% higher pricing... Ford really has positioned the Mach E as a premium vehicle, while the ID.4 is in the non-premium space (which leaves VAG room for an Audi version...).
Good point. I guess Audi has already introduced their version as the Q4 etron starting at about 45k...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #16
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

Here’s your cheap electric “Volkswagen” with 248-mile range https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/07/succe...suv/index.html
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote