carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
At what age do kids typically outgrow a Roundabout?

My nephew who turns 3 next week is tall but thin (my mom says ~32lbs) and my sister just bought him a bigger booster seat with aremovable back. She said he was hitting his head on the roof of the car trying to get in the seat.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Imo, 3 next week is too early to go into a booster unless it has a five point harness. Boosters typically use the car seat belt, anchor the shoulder belt at a lower spot about shoulder height on the child, and have the belt cross the child like a normal seat belt. If your child is not mature enough to leave the seat belt alone, they are likely to not be strapped in properly most of the time. I know we tried a booster out on Saturday and the first thing our kid did was to start playing with the belt.

From a weight standpoint, your nephew is fine. The roundabout is good to about 40 pounds (our Decathalon is good for 65 pounds). I think the roundabout was something like a 40" height restriction - that would be really tall for a three year old.

Boosters are typically rated to start at 30 pounds I think. They definately have less height elevation. If your nephew's new booster has a harness, then he is set probably until he can get away without anything.

We got the next seat (a booster with a harness) b/c we need to put our second child in a car seat instead of baby carrier anyway, so we had to buy something. The Decathalon is going to be his designated seat in the mini-van. He's not (quite) outgrowing his seat, but he's getting close and the package of baby plus infant carrier is getting to the point of being too heavy for the wife to carry. Put that together with my concern about what I am doing to the seat leather, and . . .
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
The Regent is the enormous seat. I don't know that it would fit in my car:

http://www.britaxusa.com/products/pr...tail.aspx?ID=9

Too bad you can't see the picture with something to show scale.

Oh, and thanks for the matt recommendation JST. It looks much thicker then the ones we are using. I ordered one. B/c . . . the car is new and I am neurotic.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote