carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
You bring up something very interesting and it made me think not about charging stations in Manhattan but more about gas stations ... in my 33+ years of driving and living in NY I don’t recall ever getting gas in the city ... I wouldn’t even know where there is a gas station if I needed gas (yeah I could ask Siri).

I did a quick google search and according to this link in 2016 there were only 32 gas stations in the city (the link is from 2017 but they reference a year ago)
https://consumerist.com/2017/07/19/t...-in-manhattan/

Anyway I would think garages would putin charging stations for their long term customers and it will be another source of income for them. It will make getting a fill up even easier then gas ... just my guess.
Good point. Even when i lived there (and had a car), I rarely got gas there. I think I can only remember 2 or 3 times.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #32
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
You bring up something very interesting and it made me think not about charging stations in Manhattan but more about gas stations ... in my 33+ years of driving and living in NY I don’t recall ever getting gas in the city ... I wouldn’t even know where there is a gas station if I needed gas (yeah I could ask Siri).

I did a quick google search and according to this link in 2016 there were only 32 gas stations in the city (the link is from 2017 but they reference a year ago)
https://consumerist.com/2017/07/19/t...-in-manhattan/

Anyway I would think garages would putin charging stations for their long term customers and it will be another source of income for them. It will make getting a fill up even easier then gas ... just my guess.

Might be the one at the top of the list, but I remember getting gas ONCE at a station that was near the Lincoln Tunnel (going back to Jersey) It was very expensive, but it was my bad for going into the city without gassing up in NJ first. I only bought like 5-7 bucks, enough to get to the Hess station on RT 3

I do remember passing this station often, usually only taxi's got gas there cause it was so expensive.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #33
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I used to gas up (not the whole tank due to prices) at the BP on Houston & Lafayette in the Village. Must be gone by now...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #34
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I used to gas up (not the whole tank due to prices) at the BP on Houston & Lafayette in the Village. Must be gone by now...

I actually think it’s still there !
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #35
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I still question whether battery EVs are the right thing for the future. I am hard pressed to believe that the full life cycle of an EV is cleaner than a comparable ICE vehicle. The mining and refining of precious metals like lithium, cadmium and nickel is incredibly nasty (but hey its done in 3rd world countries, so it doesn't count, right).

You could argue that power generation is cleaner than ICE pollution, but again it depends on the type and what other environmental impacts you want to consider ie: windmills on ridgelines chop up amazing amounts of migrant birds, hydro dams kill salmon, etc. Then you have nuclear, coal and older tech plants that have their own pollution issues.

You then have to take that energy that is relatively efficiently produced and lose x% of it transporting it from the plant to your house. Lose x++% more turning it from AC-> DC and stuffing it in a battery. Lose X% more due to battery loss during sitting, especially if it is cold and x% more when turned from potential to kinetic energy in the motor, heater, etc. The reality is not nearly as efficient as Tesla, or other EV companies would market us to think.

I think if we were to clean sheet an ICE vehicle we could do so much better than where we are today. The big problem with ICE is how inefficiently it operates. For instance, we give up a ton of energy in braking. If we were to develop hydraulic accumulator brakes we could store all that energy for reuse during acceleration. We could capture exhaust heat and use that for electric generation, eliminating the alternator and engine drag. The engine could be hooked to an energy storage system (hydraulic or electric) and run at max efficiency all the time. Then the engine could be significantly smaller, because reality is it is operating at 10% or less of it potential most of the time and the stored engine from braking and engine accumulation could be used during accel, etc when needed. Basically consolidate the energy use systems into one, and optimize them together. I think the biggest issue with ICE today isn't the gas it burns, its the inefficient ways it gives up energy when cruising, braking, cooling, etc.

Just my thoughts.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #36
JST

I mean there’s a lot of work that’s been done analyzing this precise question. The answer is that at least from a carbon standpoint end to end EVs are far more efficient than ICE.

See, eg,

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicle...s#.XENPL6ROnDs
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #37
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
https://youtu.be/6RhtiPefVzM

"So if you're driving a Tesla P100D in West Virginia you're not doing the environment any favors."

Last edited by rumatt; 01-19-2019 at 04:28 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:35 AM   #38
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
if you're driving...you're not doing the environment any favors
Unfortunately, this is the reality. Everything else is pretend.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #39
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Btw EVs suck in weather where it’s 2F and minus 15 with windchill.

*just a personal observation.

I hate it.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #40
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
My Tesla is parked until this cold spree is over. I'm bonding with the Colorado through this dark time.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote