carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
ff

Is this a dumb idea (3rd vehicle)?

What do y'all think of a CPO'ed X5 as a 3rd vehicle? I'm browsing the CPO site, and seeing some 2004 examples with ~50K miles, right at around $26K. Subtract several grand because SUV's aren't selling right now, and it could probably be a pretty nice setup for right around $20K.

Towing capacity for the 3.0 is 6000 pounds, which would be more than plenty to haul my S2000 to MN. And it's rated at 21 MPG HWY. Anyone know how good the X5 is at meeting/beating the HWY estimates?

I don't know, just tossing around some ideas as I think about the alternative of driving the S2000 that entire distance (um, no thanks). And needing something for next winter anyhow.

Then there's the V8 4Runner...
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
the only thing you may want to keep in mind is the CPO warranties are for a total of 6 years from the original in-service date (or 100k miles). The '04s would expire anytime from late 2009 to summer of 2010 -- so it might be worth finding an '05 with similar mileage.

Don't have any highway mileage experience in an X5, but our X3 3.0 gets between 22-24 on the highway (and 17-19 in town)... the X5 is probably a bit heavier -- so 21 probably makes sense.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
One alternative for driving the S2k to MN is to have it shipped - that's much less than the cost of an X5.

OTOH, I spent an afternoon driving an 06 X5 3.0 - I averaged 18 mpg and was quite taken with the ride/handling and steering for such a large and heavy vehicle.

I'd stay away from the v8 models, however, as reliability hasn't been so good.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I am sure it will be more fun to drive then the 4Runner, but it might not deal with the snow as well. I suppose that choice would depend on what you expect to do with it the most. I would pick the X5 over the 4 Runner for on road use any day.

How many days does it snow where you are going? If it dumps a ton once a week, you get 6 days of clear roads and one day of needing the snow capacity every week. If it's the other way around . . .
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
the only thing you may want to keep in mind is the CPO warranties are for a total of 6 years from the original in-service date (or 100k miles). The '04s would expire anytime from late 2009 to summer of 2010 -- so it might be worth finding an '05 with similar mileage.
That's right... I will not own a BMW out of warranty, so the lower mileage/newer models would be a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
One alternative for driving the S2k to MN is to have it shipped - that's much less than the cost of an X5.
The need for a 3rd vehicle this winter (which arrives sooner in MN than most other states) is what's firing these thoughts off in my mind. If I can snag a killer deal on something now, use it to tow the Honda up north, then the $1500 to ship the car would be saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
I am sure it will be more fun to drive then the 4Runner, but it might not deal with the snow as well. I suppose that choice would depend on what you expect to do with it the most. I would pick the X5 over the 4 Runner for on road use any day.

How many days does it snow where you are going? If it dumps a ton once a week, you get 6 days of clear roads and one day of needing the snow capacity every week. If it's the other way around . . .
In Jan and Feb, it snows all the time. Not uncommon to have new, significant snow on the ground 3 or 4 times/week. Last winter I spent there, the main highways were plowed and salted before morning rush hour. But the secondary roads would wait until mid-day. And they'd be ice and snow-packed by then.

I would be doing some mild off-roading on occasion (nothing like Lupinsea does), which the 4Runner would be much better at. So there's that.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
ff

I guess another thing to consider is that the X5 probably requires premium fuel, whereas the 4Runner does not.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I guess another thing to consider is that the X5 probably requires premium fuel, whereas the 4Runner does not.
May be a wash -- depends on the MPG difference... You're probably talking ~$4.50 per tank of gas higher cost -- and a 2 MPG difference would make premium less expensive over time...
Old 05-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
yes.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
yes
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #10