carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #681
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
The Fairfield County Supercharger strategy seems to be to put them in all the Service Areas. Basically overpopulate the Superchargers so one will be avail when you need it (and if they are all full, you can get to another one within ~20 miles -- even if that means popping from the Merritt to I-95...
"Popping from the Merritt to I95" means an extra hour plus of your time - both to get there - "fuel up" and get back on course.

I still think you're making light of the time it takes to fill up, even with a supercharger. The overnight charge is a cool thing, but filling up anywhere else any other time is a pain in the ass for those of us used to 5 minutes at a gas station.

I also wonder how well the batteries hold up over time - a 200 mile range today is certainly not going to be 200 miles 5 or 10 years from now.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #682
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Unless the Merritt is backed up, I'm almost always taking that over I-95... One of my favorite highways.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #683
TD
Founder emeritus

http://georgewall.com/Monmouth-Eaton...-Car/25465002/

Can't tell if this is a deal or not. No idea as to options.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #684
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post

I was thinking the other day that Tesla is probably losing a lot of business by keeping the demo/inventory cars a secret. It's not exactly easy for people to go to a store to check availability.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #685
JST

Quote:

It's an 85, fairly early build (VIN in the 3000s), with a single charger, according to the VIN. Looks like it has leather and a panoramic roof. 19" wheels, obvs., with Goodyear tires. No kid seats. Parcel shelf. Unclear whether it has the premium sound option.

It sounds like a solid deal; not blow the doors down awesome, but pretty good, considering the difficulty of finding an S85 as a used inventory car. Remember that this car is used and so won't get the tax credit. Also, because it is an early build, this car likely has a battery that can "only" do 90 kW supercharging.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #686
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I was thinking the other day that Tesla is probably losing a lot of business by keeping the demo/inventory cars a secret. It's not exactly easy for people to go to a store to check availability.
They've actually put a new policy in place to keep the demo cars for 90 days before making them available, because they were in many cases selling them as quickly as they got them in.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #687
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's an 85, fairly early build (VIN in the 3000s), with a single charger, according to the VIN. Looks like it has leather and a panoramic roof. 19" wheels, obvs., with Goodyear tires. No kid seats. Parcel shelf. Unclear whether it has the premium sound option.

It sounds like a solid deal; not blow the doors down awesome, but pretty good, considering the difficulty of finding an S85 as a used inventory car. Remember that this car is used and so won't get the tax credit. Also, because it is an early build, this car likely has a battery that can "only" do 90 kW supercharging.
i think TD is crazy.

until there's a track record, and for that amount of money, why wouldnt you just stick with new?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #688
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i think TD is crazy.

until there's a track record, and for that amount of money, why wouldnt you just stick with new?

I'm not buying anything, just "shopping".

I make no secret of the fact, all things being equal, I want one. So I was curious about the used market.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #689
JST

Quote:

I make no secret of the fact, all things being equal, I want one. So I was curious about the used market.

The used market is not great for these right now; it's like any other trendy demand constrained car. You could probably get a new S85 equipped similarly for 85K or less after the tax break, so you're only saving 10k.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #690
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:

more because it's a CPO product that is still too new to understand if it has any weakpoints.

less because it's a Tesla specifically.

to use the evangelist logic, it's like paying $1000 on eBay for the iPhone in 2007. and then the iPhone 3G happened.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote