carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #521
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
And if you take the Merritt, they are added superchargers there, too, from what the people on the interwebs are saying.
Ooof, really? In those teeny-tiny little service areas, that are barely more than an expanded shoulder? Any lines could be a real problem in those.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #522
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So, Bloomfield College near Montclair, right? And you're in CT somewhere--if you had to, it looks like you could supercharge at Darien on 95 on the way up or back. Wouldn't need to do much, just a quick stop.

And if you take the Merritt, they are added superchargers there, too, from what the people on the interwebs are saying.
What's a quick stop? I see it's an hour for a super charger, no?

I take the Saw Mill north then across South Salem (route 35) through Ridgefield, then Redding where I live.

As it is, I fill the Merc up once every two weeks - takes five minutes, the car cost me under 10 grand.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #523
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Ooof, really? In those teeny-tiny little service areas, that are barely more than an expanded shoulder? Any lines could be a real problem in those.
Mr Fusion ... LOL
Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #524
TD
Founder emeritus

I'm not quite sure why this isn't really obvious to all but this car is intended to be a high-end commuter car. Home to work, work to home. Plug in overnight. Repeat.

Roadtrips are not intended to be the primary function. The superchargers are placed to allow for strategic roadtrips along the main travel corridors to get you to another place where you have a adequate overnight charging source.

And those trips would largely be between urban areas - no trips to the sticks.

Which is how I suspect *most* people use their daily drivers 90+% of the time - commuting and main artery road trips.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #525
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Don't you own 2 cars?

Why does it have to work perfectly for your every need to be a viable product?

Just because a convertible doesn't fit my needs doesn't mean they shouldn't be produced at all.
I have three cars.

It doesn't have to be a viable option for everything, but at the price, I'd want it to be at least as viable as a full sized luxury sedan it'd be likely replacing.

I could get a Nissan Leaf for around town electric car stuff where the garage plugin as sole refueling station would suffice.

I never said it "shouldn't be produced at all" ???
Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #526
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I'm not quite sure why this isn't really obvious to all but this car is intended to be a high-end commuter car. Home to work, work to home. Plug in overnight. Repeat.

Roadtrips are not intended to be the primary function. The superchargers are placed to allow for strategic roadtrips along the main travel corridors to get you to another place where you have a adequate overnight charging source.

And those trips would largely be between urban areas - no trips to the sticks.

Which is how I suspect *most* people use their daily drivers 90+% of the time - commuting and main artery road trips.
That's not how it's being marketed on the Tesla website - so no, I don't think that's "obvious to all", even if it should be.

Which is what I'm questioning.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #527
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
That's not how it's being marketed on the Tesla website - so no, I don't think that's "obvious to all", even if it should be.

Which is what I'm questioning.
Seems obvious to me too.

I don't really pay attention to marketing - didn't realize you were so easily influenced.

Quote:
I have three cars.

It doesn't have to be a viable option for everything, but at the price, I'd want it to be at least as viable as a full sized luxury sedan it'd be likely replacing.

I could get a Nissan Leaf for around town electric car stuff where the garage plugin as sole refueling station would suffice.

I never said it "shouldn't be produced at all" ???
Sounds like you are the perfect audience for the i3.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #528
JST

Quote:
What's a quick stop? I see it's an hour for a super charger, no?

I take the Saw Mill north then across South Salem (route 35) through Ridgefield, then Redding where I live.

As it is, I fill the Merc up once every two weeks - takes five minutes, the car cost me under 10 grand.
You wouldn't need a full charge. Just a bump to get you home, if you were worried about it. You start with 200+ miles of range (or, say, 175, if you want to be conservative). You use 160. To get home you need to add, what, 20 or 30? The newest Superchargers can hit like 300 mph on a depleted battery (they slow down as the battery gets full, but you don't need to worry about that if you stop on the way home). So, figure 10 minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Dunno. I understand that there are some renovations happening at the service plazas and people are speculating that the Superchargers will be added as part of that? But I'm not sure, and I don't think anyone outside Tesla knows at this point.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #529
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Seems obvious to me too.

I don't really pay attention to marketing - didn't realize you were so easily influenced.

Sounds like you are the perfect audience for the i3. That should feel good.
I'm more bemused by the whole Tesla thing than anything else, which is why I said originally, in response to ZBB's weekend away post, if he had a Golf TDI, he could go there and back and still drive for another two weeks and never have to think about fuel stops (if energy consumption is the goal for this car).

To me, I just don't understand paying a huge price tag for a car that ties you to fuel stops and charging stations and essentially takes away the ingredient we all like most about driving, which is freedom.

A current Accord Hybrid, or VWTDI allows you the freedom to go more places with less worry about fuel stops, AND gives you great commuter mileage as well.

Yet people, some with means, perhaps some stretching their wallets to do so, are flocking to the Tesla, and I don't understand the "draw" (except it is pretty).

I just don't get it, but that's me.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #530
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Which is why I mentioned "partnerships" ...
Oh, right, because auto manufacturers don't partner with outside tech companies to bring innovative things to market.

... Said nobody ever.

http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/...EWS/301149949#
John V is offline   Reply With Quote