carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #31
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
She already knows that this is a huge bonus. I've tried to shame her boyfriend about this...
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #32
dan
redefined

I've taken my 14yo daughter to a big empty parking lot a couple of times now to let her drive my car a little bit. Even let my 12yo son get behind the wheel very briefly, but I was clenching my butt the whole time with him.

He was excited in a very "whoa this is so cool that my dad would let me drive his car at 12" way. My daughter, on the other hand, was excited in very much a "YESSS..this is gonna be me very sooooon" kind of way
Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #33
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I've taken my 14yo daughter to a big empty parking lot a couple of times now to let her drive my car a little bit. Even let my 12yo son get behind the wheel very briefly, but I was clenching my butt the whole time with him.

He was excited in a very "whoa this is so cool that my dad would let me drive his car at 12" way. My daughter, on the other hand, was excited in very much a "YESSS..this is gonna be me very sooooon" kind of way
Scary.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #34
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I let my 12 and 10 years old drive the 4-runner offroad yeah a bit scary, 12 year old put some nice desert pinstripes on it. wife was not happy
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #35
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
12 year old put some nice desert pinstripes on it. wife was not happy
Badge of honor?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #36
dan
redefined

Took both kids out driving in a big high school parking lot yesterday, they both had lots of fun and did well.

Related Q for you parents of drivers: How did you handle driver's ed? I always thought I'd prefer both kids do a formal class/school but the ones around here have such a horrible reputation both in quality and the ability to actually get time behind the wheel scheduled. I'm now seriously considering doing Aceable for the classroom portion (it's an app they can do on their phones) and then doing parent-taught for the driving portion.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #37
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Took both kids out driving in a big high school parking lot yesterday, they both had lots of fun and did well.

Related Q for you parents of drivers: How did you handle driver's ed? I always thought I'd prefer both kids do a formal class/school but the ones around here have such a horrible reputation both in quality and the ability to actually get time behind the wheel scheduled. I'm now seriously considering doing Aceable for the classroom portion (it's an app they can do on their phones) and then doing parent-taught for the driving portion.
I think that there is some value in having them get seat time that is "not Dad." Even if the driver's schools are pretty shitty.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #38
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I think that there is some value in having them get seat time that is "not Dad." Even if the driver's schools are pretty shitty.
I can't say that I disagree with that. I really didn't think I would ever do the parent-taught but the alternatives do seem fairly bleak.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #39
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
I can't say that I disagree with that. I really didn't think I would ever do the parent-taught but the alternatives do seem fairly bleak.
I recall that in my time (mid/late 90's) the best benefit was that driver's ed allowed you to get your license at 16.5yo whereas no formal driver's ed meant waiting until 17yo. So everyone did it just because of that.

But I agree with "someone other than dad." You can say all the right things but sometimes someone says it differently and it sinks in better or is more memorable.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #40
dan
redefined

Yeah, no such restriction here. They can still get their license the day they turn 16 (as long as they have their learner's permit for 6 months before that)