carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Range Rover sport?

Figured I'd bring this up since there's been a fair amount of Land Rover related discussion recently.

Since my 528 lease ended, I've been driving a 2008 x3. After years of hating on CUVs, I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually like it. It's comfortable, quick, solid, practical and handles reasonably well.

With close to 100k miles, we'd rather not keep this for more than another year. I don't want to get stuck having to pay for an expensive repair or scrambling to find a new car.

If I had my way, I'd get some form of v8 Dodge Charger. (A 991S would also be nice). My wife hates that idea.

But...a friend might be able to get me a great deal on a new RRS (v6 version). I've never even considered one (or any Land Rover) in the past. I casually mentioned it, and my wife got very excited. I don't think I've ever seen her get that excited about a vehicle .

So...it looks like it could happen. I'm intrigued (they look great with nice interiors) but am a bit weary too (large heavy, questionable reliability, etc). If the v8 were a possibility I'd jump all over it because it sounds awesome.

I've noticed that it gets surprisingly good reviews even from car oriented publications- not for its performance or features but just a certain "je ne sais quoi".

Personally, I think I'd prefer an F-pace but it would end up being about the same cost to lease, The interior isn't that great and my wife is just "meh" about it.

Anyone driven a v6 powered one? Any thoughts? I haven't bothered to test drive one yet. Even with a great deal, it's still a bit more than I'd normally spend - but less than many premium German cars/suvs.

If it falls through for some reason, I'll probably just look for the best lease deal I can find on a mutually acceptable vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Figured I'd bring this up since there's been a fair amount of Land Rover related discussion recently.

Since my 528 lease ended, I've been driving a 2008 x3. After years of hating on CUVs, I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually like it. It's comfortable, quick, solid, practical and handles reasonably well.

With close to 100k miles, we'd rather not keep this for more than another year. I don't want to get stuck having to pay for an expensive repair or scrambling to find a new car.

If I had my way, I'd get some form of v8 Dodge Charger. (A 991S would also be nice). My wife hates that idea.

But...a friend might be able to get me a great deal on a new RRS (v6 version). I've never even considered one (or any Land Rover) in the past. I casually mentioned it, and my wife got very excited. I don't think I've ever seen her get that excited about a vehicle .

So...it looks like it could happen. I'm intrigued (they look great with nice interiors) but am a bit weary too (large heavy, questionable reliability, etc). If the v8 were a possibility I'd jump all over it because it sounds awesome.

I've noticed that it gets surprisingly good reviews even from car oriented publications- not for its performance or features but just a certain "je ne sais quoi".

Personally, I think I'd prefer an F-pace but it would end up being about the same cost to lease, The interior isn't that great and my wife is just "meh" about it.

Anyone driven a v6 powered one? Any thoughts? I haven't bothered to test drive one yet. Even with a great deal, it's still a bit more than I'd normally spend - but less than many premium German cars/suvs.

If it falls through for some reason, I'll probably just look for the best lease deal I can find on a mutually acceptable vehicle.

Holy cats those things are expensive.

The base 340 hp engine is probably beefy enough to not feel terrible. I haven't driven one, though.

For similar money (though maybe not similar lease terms), the Durango SRT kicks sand in the Rangie's face. Plus it has a "392" Hemi. None of this supercharged V8-missing-two-cylinders nonsense in the Dodge.

C/D was kind of meh on the Sport. And 15 mpg? Jesus.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ort-hse-page-3

What about an E400 wagon? Does that not excite the wife's imagination? Those are about the same price point, too.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
robg
Carmudgeon

Range Rover sport?

In this case, an e400 and the SRT jeep/Durango would actually be more expensive.

At this point, I'd have to suggest something significantly cheaper to convince her otherwise (then again, a v8 Charger can be leased in the 300s and she balked at that)

Therein lies the source of my deadlock. I'd have to really go to bat for some 4 cyl sedan or SUV, but am, of course, not motivated to do that. In many ways,I think my old x3 is a better car than most current sub 50k cars.

Last edited by robg; 09-09-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
JST

I think you have to drive one. For me, it'd take a lot of work to buy a 15 mpg daily driver that only had a V6. Im not the most climate conscious person out there, but for that kind of (lack of) efficiency Id want something very fast.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Right...I'd like to also try the diesel. Apparently it gets 26 combined

Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Is this going to be your car or her's? Do you only have one car? I guess I don't understand why your wife cares what you drive.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Is this going to be your car or her's? Do you only have one car? I guess I don't understand why your wife cares what you drive.

Only have 1 car. She drives it about 60% of the time
Old 09-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Ah, wow, that's rough. I can't imagine getting by with only one car.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Ah, wow, that's rough. I can't imagine getting by with only one car.
Nor can I... and it's just me
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Jaguar SUV - drove very sporty, beautiful looking, overall a nice tight package but again too small

Range Rover sport - we both loved the drive of this car, it reeks luxury ... it just feels substantial and super comfy ... funny thing is the info system (nav,radio etc) is the same exact system as the jaguar. I think they had the same engine as well though I might be wrong. Great vehicle but we decided after this that we want a 3rd row and the 3rd row in this car is a serious joke. Btw the lease is not too good either
This was my thoughts on those 2 which is in another thread here ... not much of a write up but I do remember we really liked the Range Rover. At the time the lease was $999 a month which was a little more then we were paying for the GL450 and the msrp was quite a bit less.

I have a couple of friends with the RRS and they love it. Go test drive one, I'm not sure what you consider a good deal on one of these but I felt the lease was too high for the MSRP.

Btw I should mention one of my friends is a car guy and had back when they were new a 997.2 cab so I can relate to his opinion of cars.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote