carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #1181
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I can’t stop thinking about it.
I see.

When you can never see anything ever again without seeing that dash after it's seared itself into your retinas I can understand why you can't stop thinking about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	13106  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #1182
JST

Says the guy with the bright orange car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #1183
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Is this the compressor you're looking for?
Old 01-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #1184
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Clean low mileage T's are in the 90's to a 100 but I have seen a few show up over the last few months (and I'm not even diligently searching).

There are some negatives for me:
1. rear seat delete (I occasionally found use for the rears, putting in small ppl etc)
2. LWB - I don't think all T's have these seats. I can't imagine they would work for me.
3. Decreased sound insulation. Porsches are great with wind noise but even cushier ones, e.g. my 981S or a 997 I had, have decently high road noise. I'm not sure I'm on board with increasing that.

For me a base 991.2 well-optioned would be preferable to a T, but I'd have to drive them back to back. Also many manuals are T's.
While I agree a nicely optioned base car would be a better buy, and probably a more rewarding car to live with day in and day out, I know JST has liked the T package from the beginning. The Rennlisters treat the T package as something special, so I'm guessing it would maintain resale value better than a 'normal' 991.2. The LWBs are highly valued, so you could find someone w/ 18ways and do a swap +$?Ks in your pocket.

For what its worth, my car has been in storage since December. This weekend we're at the lake and I pulled the cover off and started it up just to sit inside and listen to it. I've bought a bunch of little things for it over the winter and am really jonesing to get it home and play with it again. I miss not being able to use it... ALOT. Just a perspective on how nice of a package the 991.2 is.

Reading Clyde's recap on his Camaro search also made me really happy, I jumped on mine back in February when I did just before COVID. It was so nice having it during lock down. I remember JST posting the YOLO advice back then. I'll share it back now. Just do it. If it isn't everything you hoped for, sell it for minimal loss.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:33 PM   #1185
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I'm talking about my choices. The LWB's were especially valuable in GT4's as well. I sat in them shortly (have not driven) and I can tell they are not for me. The rennlist/pca crowd can fetishize buckets, old air-cooled relics and all sorts of things. I'm just providing my opinions on the T. I find them easier to find, these days, than manual non-T coupes.

Black on black for JST? There will be better ones (though less convenient to find).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #1186
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'm talking about my choices. The LWB's were especially valuable in GT4's as well. I sat in them shortly (have not driven) and I can tell they are not for me. The rennlist/pca crowd can fetishize buckets, old air-cooled relics and all sorts of things. I'm just providing my opinions on the T. I find them easier to find, these days, than manual non-T coupes.

Black on black for JST? There will be better ones (though less convenient to find).
I wasn't attacking your opinion, I was simply building off it and sharing mine. Perhaps you misunderstood my point re: the lwb seats and the rennlist feedback. I was saying if JST or someone else doesn't like them you can sell them for profit..

Sorry if I'm missing interpreting your response, but it seemed pretty defensive and I'm not sure why that is needed
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #1187
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Says the guy with the bright orange car.
A couple thoughts...

1) I was in Alexandria yesterday afternoon. I should have checked if you were available so we could do a visual comparison.

2) From the driver's seat, there's very little orange to see. Just a tad bit under the hood and maybe a touch of fender. The hood has a flat black wrap and the mirrors are black, too.

3) Red brake calipers on an orange car is bad enough, but like point #2, it's outside and I don't have to look at them while driving. Red seat belts was enough to keep me from working with a shit dealer on a car that was nearly unobtanium otherwise. Orange needles on red faced instruments is a number of ticks too far for me since they will be in my face at all times while driving the car (but maybe if they don't look red at night it wouldn't be so bad and I could pretend it's one of those cars that's so fast it can only be driven at night?), but maybe that's appealing to others. Also, red faced instruments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Reading Clyde's recap on his Camaro search also made me really happy, I jumped on mine back in February when I did just before COVID. It was so nice having it during lock down. I remember JST posting the YOLO advice back then. I'll share it back now. Just do it. If it isn't everything you hoped for, sell it for minimal loss.
There was a perfectly configured 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE available this spring. Two actually, one Crush, and one Shock Yellow (think green-yellow highlighter). I think I could have bought one at a price that, in retrospect, I probably would have been happy enough with, but would have only been "meh" about at the time (on top of lousy experience with one of the sales managers there early in the process which itself was on top of multiple horrible experiences over many years with one of the other stores in their dealership group.

I've been thinking about whether I should have bought then. Money would have been a rough wash. I would have had the car and not stressed about finding and buying for many months, but I also would have had a rapidly depreciating asset sitting in my garage that I wasn't using. Then again, I'd now have a two year old car with probably 1,500 miles instead of a year old car with 750 miles. if I sell three years from now, maybe that's 32k miles on a five year old car vs 31k on a four year old car?

JST has been talking about a 911 of some kind for quite some time. If it's the right one that scratches that itch, do it. If it's not, don't and keep looking.

Now that I have the car I was putting so much effort into finding for so long (although not as long as JST's less intense search), I'm having my weird issues getting it all sorted and right. As minor as they are and the near certainty of their eventual positive resolution may be, they also have me thinking about how sometimes there's more fun in the hunt than in catching the prey.

JST has sometimes mentioned that one fo the obstacles to buying a 911 is how good his Boxster is in combination with its limited use case. (I think it's a more compelling argument as an M3 replacement than a Boxster replacement, but whatever.) It reminds me of how hard it was to internally justify buying something to drive every day when I was commuting in the Miata. It was so good at what it did without ever leaving me unable to do things until it stopped running reliably, that it was impossible for me to justify spending actual money to replace or augment it.

There are two other factors, I think.

1) All of us here are getting to ages where we only have so much time left to really be able to enjoy toys like these. When most of us first started getting to know each other here, the fest, or roadfly, we were 15-20 years younger than we are now. We've mostly had a few vehicles, practical, fun, and toys alike. How old are we going to be 15-20 years from now?

2) The days of ICE, cheap and plentiful gas, and the ability to drive them pretty much anywhere we want whenever we want are numbered. If other economic factors don't do it, this is what will probably eventually pierce the Porsche price bubble: actually using them becoming a challenging and expensive proposition. We're probably still a few years off from those things actually affecting prices on used cars, but probably not many. JST, you've had the Boxster how many years? If you bought this 911 and owned it that many years, do you think you'd still be able to drive to and from your office at the times of your choosing that many years in the future?

Combined, I wouldn't so much say YOLO should guide, but something more like, "If you're gonna, get." Waiting is only going to limit the amount of time you'll be able to enjoy it and reduce the amount of fun you get from it per dollar.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #1188
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
There are two other factors, I think.

1) All of us here are getting to ages where we only have so much time left to really be able to enjoy toys like these. When most of us first started getting to know each other here, the fest, or roadfly, we were 15-20 years younger than we are now. We've mostly had a few vehicles, practical, fun, and toys alike. How old are we going to be 15-20 years from now?

2) The days of ICE, cheap and plentiful gas, and the ability to drive them pretty much anywhere we want whenever we want are numbered. If other economic factors don't do it, this is what will probably eventually pierce the Porsche price bubble: actually using them becoming a challenging and expensive proposition. We're probably still a few years off from those things actually affecting prices on used cars, but probably not many. JST, you've had the Boxster how many years? If you bought this 911 and owned it that many years, do you think you'd still be able to drive to and from your office at the times of your choosing that many years in the future?

Combined, I wouldn't so much say YOLO should guide, but something more like, "If you're gonna, get." Waiting is only going to limit the amount of time you'll be able to enjoy it and reduce the amount of fun you get from it per dollar.
I agree. That's why I am annoyed at the Boxster situation. If I could still a GTS even 2 years down the road I may do it. I'll be pissed if there really is no NA MT Boxster past the 718.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:30 PM   #1189
JST

These are all great points. I resisted going out there this week. Maybe it’ll be gone next weekend.

My problem, putting money aside for a second, is that while a 911 is and always has been a bucket list car for me, I’m stuck in an (enviable) situation that Clyde highlights: for the driving I can do in it, the Boxster scratches the same itch and arguable does it *better* because it’s a convertible. A 911 convertible is cool but I can’t track it. And the Boxster has been paid off for years (to Clyde’s question, I’ve had it for 11 years now).

Moreover, the M3 is great and does a lot of cool stuff and is also paid for. It’s extremely practical and *also* something that is better than it’s current successor. So I’d hate to get rid of it.

I can see a world where Boxster and M3 get replaced with 911 + GTI, and the kid drives the latter mostly.

Problem is I can also see a world where Boxster and M3 stay and a GTI gets added, and that world is a lot cheaper and maybe it’s also higher overall utility?

Dunno.

But yeah all the points about age and so on are well taken. If I’m going to do something like this I should probably do it before too long.

As for spec, the bucket seats are amazing and I loved them the few times I’ve used them. They might be a pain to live with though, and with the T if you get them the rear seat gets deleted. But...overall for me I think they’re a net positive.

The gauges are dumb for the reasons Clyde states but not a deal breaker. I kind of like the red belts, if I’m being honest.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #1190
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
These are all great points. I resisted going out there this week. Maybe it’ll be gone next weekend.

My problem, putting money aside for a second, is that while a 911 is and always has been a bucket list car for me, I’m stuck in an (enviable) situation that Clyde highlights: for the driving I can do in it, the Boxster scratches the same itch and arguable does it *better* because it’s a convertible. A 911 convertible is cool but I can’t track it. And the Boxster has been paid off for years (to Clyde’s question, I’ve had it for 11 years now).

Moreover, the M3 is great and does a lot of cool stuff and is also paid for. It’s extremely practical and *also* something that is better than it’s current successor. So I’d hate to get rid of it.

I can see a world where Boxster and M3 get replaced with 911 + GTI, and the kid drives the latter mostly.

Problem is I can also see a world where Boxster and M3 stay and a GTI gets added, and that world is a lot cheaper and maybe it’s also higher overall utility?

Dunno.

But yeah all the points about age and so on are well taken. If I’m going to do something like this I should probably do it before too long.

As for spec, the bucket seats are amazing and I loved them the few times I’ve used them. They might be a pain to live with though, and with the T if you get them the rear seat gets deleted. But...overall for me I think they’re a net positive.

The gauges are dumb for the reasons Clyde states but not a deal breaker. I kind of like the red belts, if I’m being honest.

Do it.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote