carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Air conditioner de-skunking kit for loan in NY/NJ/CT

It's that time of year again, when funky smells start wafting out of BMW air conditioners everywhere

8 years ago, I bought the official BMW A/C de-skunking machine and supplies*. For more info, see the BMW service bulletin.

Since more 'mudgeons seem to be coming to the NY/NJ/CT area, I figured I'd re-post my offer of a free loan of the kit for anyone who wants to get rid of the A/C smell. The kit includes the spray can, special wand and adapter, and a jug of the recommended disinfectant. You'll also need an air compressor - if you don't have one, I can lend out a pancake compressor and air line.

Be sure to read the instructions and make sure you're willing to disassemble the interior to the extent described in the bulletin. In order to get rid of the smell, the cleaner has to be sprayed into the evaporator - spraying stuff in the vents won't have any lasting effect.

* The recommended cleaner is an industrial Lysol product (stronger and without the goofy 1920's patent medicine smell). Since they only sell it to commercial accounts, I have more than I'll ever need (4 gallons - makes 80 gallons of BMW-strength cleaner, or 2000 gallons at Lysol-recommended-strength).

Last edited by Terri Kennedy; 08-07-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Fix ex-tmk.com URL and Lysol product link
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote