carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
I think I have reached a new low....

I bought a complete set of parts to re-do the suspension in the '01 E38.
Had the parts in the trunk for more than two months.

With no end in sight of 80 hour weeks at work.. and a wife who is getting cranky (mostly rightfully so....)

I finally broke down and dropped the car off at a suspension shop for getting the parts installed. They are ok with me bringing in the car with my own parts.

Then again - I've spent enough there for the owner to know I'm not jacking him around for this... We talked and he actually does this for many guys like me.

I just hate to admit it - I must be getting old. I am now paying for people to work on my car doing things I could do myself.

Now - get this.... I am having another shop change the oil in my Yukon tomorrow or Tuesday... Whenever Patty can get it down there.

I must be sick.....

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Naw. . . it's a time thing.

I'm finding the same thing happening with my and my vehicles. I hate paying a shop to do stuff I know "I" could do on my own. But sometimes time too short to wait for me to get around to it.

I'm almost getting to the point where I'm willing to pay the labor for the mechanic to do an oil change. Last time I did an oil change on the Miata it too me maybe 45 min or so. A chunk of the time was getting the car up and down on the jack stands. The actual oil change wasn't too bad. And, of course, if I was better prepared and organized it'd go faster. Still, the point being that for that 45-min / hour I could have had the mechanic do it.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Funny how when you are young you have lots of time, and no money.

As you get older you cross a threshold where your time is more valuable than your money and you pay for things you used to do yourself
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Still, the point being that for that 45-min / hour I could have had the mechanic do it.
Disposing of the old oil has become more of a hassle over the years too
Old 04-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Disposing of the old oil has become more of a hassle over the years too
You don't have a waste oil take-back law there? Here in NJ, any place that does auto servicing* has to accept private waste oil for free. That means that all of the chain auto parts places take it, for example.

Brake fluid is more of a PITA. That has to wait for the every-6-month special recycling day and I have to drive it to the other end of the county.

Batteries are easy. Aside from most sellers having a core charge (so they want the old one back), I generate enough other lead-acid batteries (from computer UPS systems) that a commercial recycler actually pays me to come and take them away.

* Presumably this is a simplified statement of the actual law. It would be interesting to try to drop the oil off at the FBI's garage or BMW's prep center.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
We have waste return laws here, too.

Just take your old oil back to any auto parts store. There are big containers in the back where you can dump it into. There are also recycling centers around. One up the road from my house will take all sorts of stuff. Oil, old oil filters, batteries, fluorescent lights, AL, cardboard, paper, steel. Then, there are the hazmat disposal centers. Not as many of them around but they are out there if you need them.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
Brake fluid is more of a PITA. That has to wait for the every-6-month special recycling day and I have to drive it to the other end of the county.
I have about 20 gallons of gas that is going to need to be disposed of. Talk about a PITA.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I have about 20 gallons of gas that is going to need to be disposed of. Talk about a PITA.
For me, that is what lawnmowers are for.
And chainsaws, leaf blowers.....

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Last time I changed the oil in the van myself, it cost about $20 for the oil, $7 for the filter, and a ton of time. We will ignore for the moment that I hadn't worked on a front wheel drive car for years and accidentally drained some of the transmission fluid instead of the oil with the first bolt.

For $30, I can have walmart do it. If I pick the weekend carefully, I can find a "manager's special" at Jiffy lube and have it done for $22. Less than the oil and filter. It's a mini van. Why would I do it myself?

Our MINI dealer usually has specials for off cycle oild changes too. It's not $30, but the synthetic oil isn't $20 anymore either.

The Z4 I will still do myself. The oil filter is on top and I can use an extractor - no lifting of the car. It takes less time to do it than it would take to wait for it.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote