carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #21
robg
Crotchety
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I could see owning one of those as well.
Me too. I think it's now at the top of the list for my next car. It just checks so many boxes for me. The new X5 has started to intrigue me as well. Have a feeling it will ride better than the x3 and have more comfortable seats (yeah i'm getting old). Plus, it might (eventually) be possible to get a better deal on one since the x5 w/ the 3 liter turbo is the base model while the x3 40i is "special" with its m-sportiness.

Back to the original topic, I like the range rover sport as well- probably the best looking of all midsize SUVs. Have driven a couple of them - both v6 gas though. The infotainment is pretty slow and clunky, but the 17+ models can now have apple carplay /android auto installed through a software update so you can largely avoid the native interface. There's pretty limited storage space compared with many other SUVs of its size and a few ergonomic annoyances. Service costs are likely to be higher as well. Agree that it will likely have more issues than other vehicles, but it is a very handsome SUV and driving one makes you feel special somehow. Great stereo and leather as well. Fun car to drive despite the fact that it shouldn't be given the specs. Good residuals so might be possible to get out of it in a few years without losing your shirt.

The Jag wagon is beautiful but costs nearly as much as an RRS- and as much as I hate to admit this, I think I'd prefer the RRS.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #22
John V
No more BMWs
 
John V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 987S, Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Location: Glenwood, MD
Posts: 12,577
sorry but what is a "macanurbo?"
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #23
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 8,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
sorry but what is a "macanurbo?"
macan turbo
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #24
John V
No more BMWs
 
John V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 987S, Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Location: Glenwood, MD
Posts: 12,577
oh
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #25
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i; '17 718 Boxster S; '16 X5 50i MSport
Posts: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Me too. I think it's now at the top of the list for my next car. It just checks so many boxes for me. The new X5 has started to intrigue me as well. Have a feeling it will ride better than the x3 and have more comfortable seats (yeah i'm getting old). Plus, it might (eventually) be possible to get a better deal on one since the x5 w/ the 3 liter turbo is the base model while the x3 40i is "special" with its m-sportiness.
The X5 is not an exciting vehicle to drive, but it does everything else you need it to do very well. And it is comfortable and somewhat luxurious (5-series level).

I could not have it as my only vehicle. But as long as I have something fun to drive in the garage, it is the perfect complement. I suppose it's a tell, though, that even when I have to go to Costco, I will try to jam everything into my 2 series rather than take the X5.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #26
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '03 325xiT, '11 135i C, '13 X5 n55
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The X5 is not an exciting vehicle to drive, but it does everything else you need it to do very well. And it is comfortable and somewhat luxurious (5-series level).

I could not have it as my only vehicle. But as long as I have something fun to drive in the garage, it is the perfect complement. I suppose it's a tell, though, that even when I have to go to Costco, I will try to jam everything into my 2 series rather than take the X5.
I really disliked our e70 coming from the e61, but over time I have grown to appreciate it for all the things it does well. The size is good for 3 teen / 20 something kids across the back. The trunk holds our 60lb dog and a couple of weekend bags without cramping. The interior is comfortable and well layed out. Even with the n55 engine, it has enough power to merge and crusie at 85+ for long periods of time without wheezing. The only really bad component is the transmission software that takes forever to lock up when pulling away from a stop.

I will say getting the 3gt helped highlight how good the e70 is compared to the newer BMW offerings. That would be my concern with the new x3... even if the engine and interior are still good, the driving dynamics & feedback have deteriorated so far that it would be mildly unpleasant to drive. I saw a review that said the safety nannies further intrude on this area too with a very zealous lane departure correction system, etc.
__________________
Josh (PA) -
'11 135i convertible
'13 X5 n55
'03 325 wagon
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #27
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 13,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The X5 is not an exciting vehicle to drive, but it does everything else you need it to do very well. And it is comfortable and somewhat luxurious (5-series level).



I could not have it as my only vehicle. But as long as I have something fun to drive in the garage, it is the perfect complement. I suppose it's a tell, though, that even when I have to go to Costco, I will try to jam everything into my 2 series rather than take the X5.


The RRS is not super fun to drive either.

Itís just a British X5, to be honest.

Like some have written itís appealing on a subjective level.

But I always go back to the 5er wagon and love it. Thatís one issue. My distrust of Land Rover to build reliable vehicles is another.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #28
Jeff_DML
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: turbo,T4R,GTI
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
...

I will say getting the 3gt helped highlight how good the e70 is compared to the newer BMW offerings. That would be my concern with the new x3... even if the engine and interior are still good, the driving dynamics & feedback have deteriorated so far that it would be mildly unpleasant to drive. I saw a review that said the safety nannies further intrude on this area too with a very zealous lane departure correction system, etc.
Was just reading the motortrend car of the year winner genesis g70 and how it was better dynamically then the 3 series, sad.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #29
AF
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Was just reading the motortrend car of the year winner genesis g70 and how it was better dynamically then the 3 series, sad.
Then it has to be a hell of a car ... I just spent the day driving the 340 and it really was great ... I can so live with that car though you guys would hate the steering ...

Also I have been reading the new 3er is going back to being more of a drivers car.
AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #30
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '03 325xiT, '11 135i C, '13 X5 n55
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 3,275
I am hopeful the new 3er can regain its old mojo. Everything I've read is its really good, but someone here will have to drive it and report.
__________________
Josh (PA) -
'11 135i convertible
'13 X5 n55
'03 325 wagon
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC