carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
new car for me

In case you don't know my current car is a 2002 325iT MT and I am thinking of selling it and getting something new.

requirements/needs:
-I have 2 your kids who i take to preschool and daycare in the morning so it needs to fit 2 kids seats.
-I surf and mtb during the work week so having the ability to store in the car is a benefit. I do have a bike rack and I put my surfboard in the front seat with my previous car, wrx.
-I currently have a short commute, couple miles. If I change jobs it will be not much farther most likely. So I dont put a lot of miles on my car.
- Probably lease more expensive cars(50k+) buy cheaper(25k)

Just got back from the porsche/vw/audi dealer....

911 coupe

S or non S, would lease this. Kids seats would only work in a bind, daily would not. Plus the sales guy told me a rough 1500 a month least, too rich for me.

m3 sedan

a. Thinking of trying to find someone who wants to get out of their lease for ~$600 a month.
b. Euro delivered and buy. Not a huge fan of sinking 60k into a car and agree with Stuka, would suck if you ever get in a major accident and you would lose so much equity.

Golf TDI

Was thinking this would be a good option, reviews made it sound like a GTI with a diesel engine but ...

GTI

why not get a GTI, I dont have a commute so gas mileage realistically does not matter(good anyways). Worried about long term reliability but in theory I could lease one. I am not a official contractor so cannot write off the lease I just test drove one and it is a nice car, good interior, plaid with good seats, black headliner,etc, power is good, do feel the FWD but not obnoxious.

WRX/STI

Like my previous WRX but the crap box interior and bumpy ride got kind of old when commuting to work. Assume new WRX or STI would be the same. Do like the new hatchback and power.

Other cars that hold my interest,

335 sedan:
Couple of years ago I was fired up on them but sort of over them.

s4:
Probably rather spend a bit more for the m3 sedan. If the offered the avant then would be higher up.

anything else I miss...comments?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
In case you don't know my current car is a 2002 325iT MT and I am thinking of selling it and getting something new.

requirements/needs:
-I have 2 your kids who i take to preschool and daycare in the morning so it needs to fit 2 kids seats.
-I surf and mtb during the work week so having the ability to store in the car is a benefit. I do have a bike rack and I put my surfboard in the front seat with my previous car, wrx.
-I currently have a short commute, couple miles. If I change jobs it will be not much farther most likely. So I dont put a lot of miles on my car.
- Probably lease more expensive cars(50k+) buy cheaper(25k)

Just got back from the porsche/vw/audi dealer....

911 coupe

S or non S, would lease this. Kids seats would only work in a bind, daily would not. Plus the sales guy told me a rough 1500 a month least, too rich for me.

m3 sedan

a. Thinking of trying to find someone who wants to get out of their lease for ~$600 a month.
b. Euro delivered and buy. Not a huge fan of sinking 60k into a car and agree with Stuka, would suck if you ever get in a major accident and you would lose so much equity.

Golf TDI

Was thinking this would be a good option, reviews made it sound like a GTI with a diesel engine but ...

GTI

why not get a GTI, I dont have a commute so gas mileage realistically does not matter(good anyways). Worried about long term reliability but in theory I could lease one. I am not a official contractor so cannot write off the lease I just test drove one and it is a nice car, good interior, plaid with good seats, black headliner,etc, power is good, do feel the FWD but not obnoxious.

WRX/STI

Like my previous WRX but the crap box interior and bumpy ride got kind of old when commuting to work. Assume new WRX or STI would be the same. Do like the new hatchback and power.

Other cars that hold my interest,

335 sedan:
Couple of years ago I was fired up on them but sort of over them.

s4:
Probably rather spend a bit more for the m3 sedan. If the offered the avant then would be higher up.

anything else I miss...comments?
I'd be kind of surprised if you could find an M3 lease for $600/mo; there were some very killer deals on '08s last year and I suppose you could find someone that put a bunch of money down and doesn't mind taking a bath on it, but if you can find an M3 for 600/mo, I'd jump all over it. Why not a used one?

Leasing a new 911 is insane; if you are going to go that route, a 2006 can be had in the 40s.

The 335 is a great car. I'd look at a 2007ish one of those.

The GTI is what I'd get if I needed to buy a four seater right now and I didn't mind FWD.

Kids would also fit in a Cooper, though it would be tight depending on what kind of seats they're in. A JCW is fun, though those get goofy expensive very quickly.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

thanks for the input, I saw this m3 sedan for $664, already gone though but figure there must be more

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336620

Yeah I forgot to mention the mini, like the exterior and the general car but cannot get over the interior of it.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

vw.com lease, want a 4 door though

Quote:
Meet the 2010 GTI Lease Special.
$349.00*/Month. 36-month lease. $0.00 due at signing. (Excludes title, tax, options and dealer fees.)

Lease a 2010 GTI 2-Door with manual transmission for $349.00* a month. 36-month lease, $0.00 due at signing. (Excludes title, tax, options and dealer fees). See your local VW dealer for this limited time offer or for one of many other great lease deals available on GTI models. More about the GTI.

©2009 Volkswagen of America, Inc. Based on MSRP of $24,239.00 for a 2010 GTI 2-Door with manual transmission, excluding title, tax, options and dealer fees. Monthly payments total $12,215.00. Requires dealer contribution of $725.00, which could affect final negotiated transaction. Purchase option at lease end for $13,196.67. At lease end lessees responsible for $0.20/mile over 36,000 miles and excessive wear and tear. Dealer sets actual prices. Lessee responsible for insurance. Closed-end lease offered on approved credit by Volkswagen Credit through participating dealers. Supplies limited. U.S. cars only. Additional charges may apply at lease end. See your Volkswagen dealer for financing details or for general product information call 1-800-Drive-VW.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

guess I need to change my name to FC to get responses

anyways, test drove a MT GTI today, a bit disappointed with it, super light clutch, long light throws of the stick. Usable but not that impressive. Still prefer the control over DSG. Engine felt pretty lumpy too, guess I have not driven a turbo for almost a year.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
guess I need to change my name to FC to get responses.
LOL

I hear the new Camaro seats 4.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
LOL

I hear the new Camaro seats 4.
Mustang, too.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
guess I need to change my name to FC to get responses

anyways, test drove a MT GTI today, a bit disappointed with it, super light clutch, long light throws of the stick. Usable but not that impressive. Still prefer the control over DSG. Engine felt pretty lumpy too, guess I have not driven a turbo for almost a year.
You have a huge range of cars on that list!!!

GTI to 911? wow!

Is buying a used 997 an option? That would be a sweet car. Or a used E90/E92 M3. For around $50k, a 2008 M3 is a nice car.

If you're looking to spend a bit less, you can get a couple-year old 335 for low $30k range CPO.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
If you're driving so little, why get an expensive car?

I'd make the short commute fun by getting a small convertible, either a late model E46 or even a Mini vert.

Plus, in san Diego, you'd probably have the top down most of the time - how cool would it be to throw a surfboard in a vert, top down, and show up at the beach
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Sorry, you lost me at you have two kids but you mtn bike and surf on weekdays.

Anyway, from my POV you need 4 doors. If you want fun, ditch the diesel. You seem to like comfort/quality/refinement, so ditch the cheaper cars (except maybe GTI). In my opinion, since you live in SoCal, get a nice sporty RWD sedan. That leads you straight to Munich. Shop the 3er range.

I vote for ED on an M3. Keep options low and get a killer deal and you could get close to the $60K out the door. You don't get to experince an ///M in Europe very easily (nevermind cheaply). Pay a bit extra in insurance for replacement value.

Oh, and I've not waffled since last Spring.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote