carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-13-2005, 10:40 PM   #31
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
I still have the UUC clutch stop sitting around somewhere. You can have it.
nice touch for the e46 clutch (that i still hatefully remember to this day).

best thing one can do for an e46 (and i'm guessing the e90) is remove the OEM clutch (dual mass fly plus springy clutch) and replace with a one-piece unit.

the clutch travel plus the sponginess bothers me.

let's keep it in perspective: the bone stock zhp is still a 5.6 second car. slow is relative.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:48 PM   #32
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

(And it's about time you posted...)
TD-- Other than your opinions about the clutch and lack of some more power, what did you think about the rest of the package?

JST-- Is this replacing the M3 or something else? What do you think about (also, other than your concern about needing more power)?
Replacing the M3.

Actually, in most driving I prefer it to the M3. The suspension is at least as firm, if not slightly firmer, with excellent body control (keep in mind the dampers on the M were 27K miles old). Handling is precise, as is the steering (which probably has a lot to do with the fact that the ZHP has 225 series Pilots on the fronts, as opposed to the 245 series T1s I was running on the M3). The shifter has a more buttery feel; the M3 had to be manhandled, especially when cold, but the ZHP always feels smooth and crisp. The shorter shift lever is nice, too, except that the armrest gets in my way more now.

The bodyshell is noticeably stiffer. How much of this is sedan v. coupe, and how much is 166 miles v. 27,600, I don't know, but there is less flex. Speaking of sedan, the sedan is a nicer all around car than the coupe, partly because of the extra convenience of the doors, and partly because the headroom is better--my hair doesn't rub the way it did in the 323Ci and M3. The trunk is more useful, too, especially since I don't have to lug around a spare in the trunk space.

TD really doesn't like the clutch. I have to say, once I figured out that the engagement point is ridiculously far up in the travel, I was able to drive it smoothly and modulate it pretty well. Ultimately, the M3 clutch was heavier and gave more feedback, but this one is easier to use on a day to day basis. Much to my chagrin, I can't find the clutch stop that I bought and never used on my E36--it might actually be useful on this car.

The power...

Well, it is what it is. It's definitely weak in the lower rev band, and I've been keeping it largely under 4K, but you can feel it start to wake up was the revs climb. As with all BMW 6s, it has a spooky smoothness that makes adding revs feel like nothing at all. It's also geared a lot taller than the M3, which contributes to its pokiness off the line (but makes for more relaxed crusing--6th is something that I only use on the highway).

The power is about the only thing I'm going to really miss about the M3--that frantic blast as the engine ripped up past 4500 RPM on its way to 8K. That and probably the LSD. But this car is adequate in most circumstances, and it is a lot cheaper.
JST, you will be glad to hear that after 27K miles, my ZHP suspenion and body feels as stiff and rigid as it did when new. Or at least I have not noticed a change. And that is with the majority of miles being on shitty MA backroads. Also no rattles to speak of.

Additionally, the paint has held up very well to rocks, etc.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:56 PM   #33
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Wow. Noice.

I thought you were going for the red, white, and blue color scheme for a sec. Have you already sold the M3? Are you getting in your way?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #34
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
well.

while the m3 is a LOT faster, it's also (by official spec) 130lbs heavier. one less 'passenger' on board while driving the car in the ZHP.

imola red is very pretty.

you do realize that you're going to go through this all over again when the e90 330i is available and even more so when the e90m3 is available. just so we're all aware of reality here. the e90 dynamics shouldn't be worse than the e46 dynamics. i'd argue they will be about the same but the new motors have a lot more power.

it will be a compelling time for e46 owners to upgrade en masse.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:18 AM   #35
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
How did I miss this thread.

I can't believe you bought the torqueless red wonder! Congratulations!
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:28 AM   #36
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giles
As much as I love the E30, I hardly ever drive it-and it deserves better.
<<Must resist. Must show strength. Must resist. Must show strength.>>

Alex
Have any other kids that need a car? How about giving up your 318 to one of them and replacing it with the M3?
Sarafil = Enabler.

Alex

Let us know when you go to pick it up.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:45 AM   #37
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Impressive. It looks like we'll be spared one person's waffles for a few months.

So, how long will it be before you will want to replace this one?
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:53 AM   #38
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Give up now. You NEED that car. You really do.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:22 AM   #39
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
Quote:
Give up now. You NEED that car. You really do.
One red/tan e30s: neighbors pay no attention, I have no issues.
Two red/tan e30s: neighbors believe I'm nutty, I could care less.
Three red/tan e30s: who cares what the neighbors think, it's plain stoopid.

Alex
BahnBaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #40
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
best thing one can do for an e46 (and i'm guessing the e90) is remove the OEM clutch (dual mass fly plus springy clutch) and replace with a one-piece unit.

the clutch travel plus the sponginess bothers me.

let's keep it in perspective: the bone stock zhp is still a 5.6 second car. slow is relative.
5.6 to 50 MPH, right?

I agree about the stock clutch. It's easily the worst feeling setup I've ever driven.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote