carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-02-2024, 03:22 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Motor Oil Age Doesn’t Matter as Much as Mileage: Study

https://www.thedrive.com/news/motor-...-mileage-study

I've never heard of 6-month oil changes. But I do subscribe to yearly ones. I do, however put some miles on all the cars. Usually at least 2,500 or so.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:36 AM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I've always said this. If I don't accrue enough miles, I'll go 1.5 years on synth. I could see stretching to 2 years, for under 4k miles. IIRC, my 06 cayman S specified 2-year intervals. I also see no reason to dump gallons of still OK oil back out into the world. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where those go, something to google.

All that said, during my e46 m3 search a decade ago, I came upon a car that was Imola, pristine with 14k miles or so and local-ish. The catch? This 05 or 06 car, had its break-in change and then again a change in 2012 at 12k miles (roughly). I was like "How is this ok?". Seller got testy and said this is what the car's computer told him to do. Later ended up at that overpriced Ohio m3 seller, selling for big money...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:33 AM   #3
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Motor Oil Age Doesn’t Matter as Much as Mileage: Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I've always said this. If I don't accrue enough miles, I'll go 1.5 years on synth. I could see stretching to 2 years, for under 4k miles. IIRC, my 06 cayman S specified 2-year intervals. I also see no reason to dump gallons of still OK oil back out into the world. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where those go, something to google.

All that said, during my e46 m3 search a decade ago, I came upon a car that was Imola, pristine with 14k miles or so and local-ish. The catch? This 05 or 06 car, had its break-in change and then again a change in 2012 at 12k miles (roughly). I was like "How is this ok?". Seller got testy and said this is what the car's computer told him to do. Later ended up at that overpriced Ohio m3 seller, selling for big money...

Ugh. I think (memory getting worse these days) that the E46 service indicator was only mileage based (miles/amount of fuel used). They added the time-based alerts in later models, believe the E9x and later.

Speaking of - my M550 was due for an annual service based on time only (still short on miles) in March. Now that we’re in April, I start getting a nasty “your engine might explode if you don’t service the car immediately” type message on start up. Annoying enough that I’m getting the oil changed today, so I guess it did its job. 😁

Last edited by SARAFIL; 04-04-2024 at 08:43 AM.
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:53 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Ugh. I think (memory getting worse these days) that the E46 service indicator was only mileage based (miles/amount of fuel used). They added the time-based alerts in later models, believe the E9x and later.

Speaking of - my M550 was due for an annual service based on time only (still short on miles) in March. Now that we’re in April, I start getting a nasty “your engine might explode if you don’t service the car immediately” type message on start up. Annoying enough that I’m getting the oil changed today, so I guess it did its job. 😁
"Squeaky wheel gets the grease." In this case, almost literally.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:22 AM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

Whoa!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:46 AM   #6
kognito
older fart than ZBB

When our car and truck dashboards say 25% life left, I change it
Old 04-04-2024, 11:06 AM   #7
FC
Solving problems

I still run the simple calculation cutting recommended mile interval in half or once a year whichever comes first. Unless the car is driven very little, like 2k miles/year, in which case I may go 18 months.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:45 PM   #8
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
"Squeaky wheel gets the grease." In this case, almost literally.

Actually put on a bit more mileage since last oil change than I thought - 9k miles, service indicator said 2k left. Anyway, car is all refreshed & up to date - oil, brake fluid, air filters & microfilter.