carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
JST

How you get to it in a Mk VI Golf, apparently.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Hey lets add all this weight and insulation to make the car quiet, and then we can add a speaker and make lots of fake engine noises inside.

An engineer definitely came up with that one.
Think it has more to do with European noise regs, and Turbochargers (which tend to muffle the exhaust sound). And of course, adding more insulation to address customer complaints about road and wind noise. As an added bonus, it lets them offer different settings for different driving modes on the cheap.

I wonder if these devices will ever be used in electric cars? I do remember reading about one carmaker using a similar device on a hybrid to make the transition from electric to gas engine less jarring. Think it might be Ford- cant' remember.

As far as disabling it, doesn't the VAG-COM software let you do that? I know on BMWs, its easy to disable with the esys software. And VAG-COM seems to allow even more customizations. I'd try that before disconnecting something or pulling fuses.

For some reason, these devices don't bother me at all.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Disconnecting doesn't require special cords and software - I'm missing how that's not the easier/preferred option to 'rooting' your car. heh
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Think it has more to do with European noise regs, and Turbochargers (which tend to muffle the exhaust sound). And of course, adding more insulation to address customer complaints about road and wind noise. As an added bonus, it lets them offer different settings for different driving modes on the cheap.

I wonder if these devices will ever be used in electric cars? I do remember reading about one carmaker using a similar device on a hybrid to make the transition from electric to gas engine less jarring. Think it might be Ford- cant' remember.

As far as disabling it, doesn't the VAG-COM software let you do that? I know on BMWs, its easy to disable with the esys software. And VAG-COM seems to allow even more customizations. I'd try that before disconnecting something or pulling fuses.

At least on a Mk. VI, no one has figured out whether there is a VAG-COM code to disable it. There apparently is on the Mk. VII.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #15
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

There have been calls for electric cars to have noisemakers as a pedestrian safety measure because, I guess, tires are silent.

I also think sound deadening is more to address tire and wind noise issues, but the "fix" bren described as coming from an engineer sure seems more marketing driven.

I'm not wild about the thing in the FoST or other cars, but I don't really care enough to care.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #16
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
There have been calls for electric cars to have noisemakers as a pedestrian safety measure because, I guess, tires are silent.

I also think sound deadening is more to address tire and wind noise issues, but the "fix" bren described as coming from an engineer sure seems more marketing driven.

I'm not wild about the thing in the FoST or other cars, but I don't really care enough to care.
Electric cars are generally pretty silent below 20 mph or so. Above that and you can hear tire whoosh and wind noise almost as much as any other car. The noisemaker regs generally are aimed at these low speeds, which in fairness are most likely in big cities where people will be stepping off of sidewalks while looking at their iPhone.

Driving an electric car, it's just something you have to keep in mind and be careful about. I don't think there's any need for artificial noise.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
A lady in a Prius almost got me after she pulled out briskly from behind a full sized truck in the Home Depot lot.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #18
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Maybe I will try pulling it this weekend and see how it sounds.
Did you?

I am so happy with this mod.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Did you?

I am so happy with this mod.
No, didn't have the chance. I had a few minutes to rotate my tires but didn't have a chance to pull the soundaktor.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #20
JST

I disconnected the Soundaktor yesterday. Following the instructions in the video, it really didn't take more than 5 minutes, start to finish.

The difference is remarkable. It's funny, because the Golf R still isn't quiet by any stretch of the imagination, but the "natural" sound of the engine is a lot more pleasant than with the Soundaktor.

The Soundaktor induces vibrations that I think are supposed to give the car a deeper and throatier feel, but in reality that just make it seem like the NVH team quit before they were finished.

So, my vote? Do this mod. Car is more pleasant without the fake noise.