carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor

WTF?! no turbo?

On my way home from work yesterday, I stopped getting boost. It was fine one minute. Next minute, nothing. The stupid "sound symposer" thing seemed louder (and maybe active under 2,700 RPM), but that and no boost were the only things different. No CEL, no other noises, nothing.

After I got home, I checked all the hoses and didn't find anything loose (doesn't mean I didn't miss something). In the first six months the car was available, there were quite a few reports of that, but I haven't seen any in a long time. I read a couple things about a valve for the sound symposer thing getting stuck leaving it on and no boost being a result for some reason. There have been a couple other reports of a solenoid going bad, but I think in all those cases there was intermittent boost availability. I only have a few miles/cycles on the car since the boost first cut out, so...dunno.

Everything else I've read about have been from people with mods where something went bad or they had big noises or other obvious issues.

Drove it to the Ford dealer this morning. Will hopefully hear something by this afternoon.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
kognito
older fart than ZBB

in my Daytona Shelby, it was easy to defeat the turbo by pulling the wire on my charge temp sensor. But, this threw a CEL right away. (in NWNJ snow storms, this wire HAD to be pulled to make it home)

Not sure if Ford uses a sensor on the wastegate. but I would think a stuck wastegate would make noise.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I particularly like how a fault in the faux noise maker can potentially disable the turbo.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I particularly like how a fault in the faux noise maker can potentially disable the turbo.
The sound symposer in the Focus isn't electronic, though, is it? It routes exhaust or intake noise to the cabin? I guess if it's actually part of the intake/exhaust system, I can see how a stuck valve might bork the turbo.

Though it is still dumb. Kind of like the hydraulic fluid routed through the A-pillar on the Jag.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The sound symposer in the Focus isn't electronic, though, is it? It routes exhaust or intake noise to the cabin? I guess if it's actually part of the intake/exhaust system, I can see how a stuck valve might bork the turbo.

Though it is still dumb. Kind of like the hydraulic fluid routed through the A-pillar on the Jag.
The valve is electrically controlled. Not 100% sure beyond that.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
No CEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
in my Daytona Shelby, it was easy to defeat the turbo by pulling the wire on my charge temp sensor. But, this threw a CEL right away. (in NWNJ snow storms, this wire HAD to be pulled to make it home)

Not sure if Ford uses a sensor on the wastegate. but I would think a stuck wastegate would make noise.

Good luck!
Quote:
I would have thought that if a system like a turbocharger stopped working for damn near any reason, it would throw some kind of code even if not a CEL, but the scan tool I used didn't pick up anything. I probably should have had the car do its health report thing and see if it said anything there.

In other news, the lack of boost in that car is definitely noticeable. On level ground, it was fine, just a little pokey in comparison. Uphill in second-sixth gears...not a very pretty picture.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The sound symposer in the Focus isn't electronic, though, is it?
I have no idea; my cars all make real noises - and plenty of them.

Clyde's video looks like it's attached to the airbox. I can't imagine it's in the exhaust system for obvious reasons.

Did you suck up a bird and not notice?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The valve is electrically controlled. Not 100% sure beyond that.

Pretty sure what JST meant was that it isn't a speaker playing fake engine noises like on my Audi: http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=91735

At least the Focus actually manipulates the intake/exhaust to make its sounds.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Pretty sure what JST meant was that it isn't a speaker playing fake engine noises like on my Audi: http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=91735

At least the Focus actually manipulates the exhaust to make it sounds.
Right, though I think Bren is right--it has to be on the intake side.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I have no idea; my cars all make real noises - and plenty of them.

Clyde's video looks like it's attached to the airbox. I can't imagine it's in the exhaust system for obvious reasons.

Did you suck up a bird and not notice?

Dude, it's not an STi.

I have no fucking clue, though. When I was looking for loose hoses, I took off the main undertray. I was a bit dismayed at how much oil was on the side of the filter and underside of the pan that looked like it had been there for a while. No leak marks on the undertray, though, and still pretty much full (no noticeable loss in however many months since my last change).

I didn't have time to remove the tray beneath the radiator and intercooler, though, so no idea what might be going on there other than it appears all the hoses were attached as they should be. I did notice the radiator expansion tank level was a bit below the MIN line after the commute home, but it hadn't been running hot at all according to the gauge. Oil temp and pressure gauges have all been normal for as long as I can remember.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?