carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #31
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Electric cars are generally pretty silent below 20 mph or so. Above that and you can hear tire whoosh and wind noise almost as much as any other car. The noisemaker regs generally are aimed at these low speeds, which in fairness are most likely in big cities where people will be stepping off of sidewalks while looking at their iPhone.

Driving an electric car, it's just something you have to keep in mind and be careful about. I don't think there's any need for artificial noise.
I had my first instance of someone not hearing the Tesla approaching this week... They were closing the rear hatch of their SUV, and took a couple steps back. I was about 2 parking spots shy and already going slow. I slowed down a bit more and steered a bit left. But he kept stepping back (looked like he was trying to show someone something under the car). When I was about 8 feet shy of him (and moving at a crawl), he finally saw me in his peripheral vision and moved forward out of the way...)

Just have to be observant in parking lots...
Old 10-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #32
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'm going to need to try this after I put on a few hundred miles.
You bought an S4?

Congrats!

Yes, do the mod.