carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Snow Rescue Tally + Yellow Jeep Taxi Service

Ok, Over the course of the last few days of snow here in Seattle, my rescue tally is:

Towed out 4 cars
Driven 2 out of "stucks" the owners got into

So . . I've helped recover 6 people.

Jeep-based Recovery Efforts
Honda Civic - Lost traction on an icy patch of road, couldn't get up a slope less steep than a wheelchair ramp. Hooked up the tow strap and dragged said car over a curb and 20 ft through a snow berm before loosing traction myself. Whoops. Pushed her backward about a block and she was able to switch to the adjacent lane which had barely enough traction.

Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Pickup truck - The push-button 4WD system wouldn't work. The push button engagement system crapped out somehow. Truck stuck in a "V" at the curb cut for a gas station. Dragged said truck out onto the road out of the deep snow where the owner could get going again.

Wife's Volvo - wow, this car sucks in snow. Couldn't get more than 100 ft from our house. Might be the low-profile tires. . . might be the weigh distributions (probably more weight in back vs. type econobox FWDer). Anyways. Hooked up the Jeep and dragged it out of the 6" deep snow my wife managed to plow it into (oh, wife also doesn't know how to drive in snow).

Peugeot - A few blocks from out some people were stuck trying to get out of their drive way. Took me about 3 min to un-loop my tow rope from where it was draped around my spare tire and pull them onto the main road. They were pretty happy to get out of the house and get going as their provisions were running low. They had been out there for over an hour with people driving by not helping.

Mad Snow Driving Skillz-based Recovery Efforts*
Sister-in-law's Toyota Corolla - After my sister's boyfriend got the car stuck 20 ft from thier parking space I hopped in behind the wheel to show him how it's done. A little rocking back and forth between R and D and I had the car back into the parking space. Then flooring it into reverse zoomed me back out into the snow, at which point, judicious, light throttle modulation had the Corolla rolling through the snow, out the parking lot, down the block, up the hill, and out on to the main road. I parked the Corolla about 2 blocks away where it'd be easier for her to get going the next day.

Random stranger's Dodge Caliber - Walking back to my sister-in-law's apartment some dude had his Caliber stuck. Same thing: trying to back out of his parking spot. He let me try and the same technique. . . rock the car back and forth a bit, not spinning the tires. Eventually built up enough momentum and plowed down enough snow to get his ride back into his parking spot. He was calling a friend to come pick him up.

Yellow Jeep Taxi Service
For the last several days we've had family in town for a x-mas visit. Their rental economy car has had limited range in our snow. Plus my sister-in-law spent her whole life in San Diego and has a FWD Corolla (her first winter w/ snow). Oh, and other good friend who has been joining us in the x-mas celebrations. Plus my wife I've been shuttling into work and back. So I've been basically driving everybody else around in the snow in the Jeep. Probably put on about 400+ miles in 4WD snow driving since this started. Maximum seating is 4 (incl driver) so for x-mas I'd head out and pick up the parents and drop them off at our house, then head out and pick up sister-n-law, her boyfriend, and our other friend and return to the house. . . plus all the food / supply runs. Oh, and driving everybody home at the end of the day.

How about the rest of you?

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
My in-laws are on Salt Spring Island in BC -- and are snowed in.

They have at least 3 feet of snow on their deck (over the railings). Their store (they have a sweatshirt / clothing store) is closed -- a the roof caved in over a restaurant in the same complex, and the resulting water damage blew out a transformer.

And now... its snowing in Scottsdale (the last 10 min or so...)
Old 12-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
You know, FWD is not what it's made to be... My gf's civic Si hatch is worse in the snow than my e90. It got stuck on a tiny patch of ice where it was parked the other day - on snow tires!
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
So far - The Yukon is proving to be great in the snow/ice/slush we have had now for two weeks.

The way it is performing is actually causing me to consider not selling it... I'll just have the '01 E38 for summer duty and the Yukon for winter's.... for Patty.
We talked about that today. She actually was pretty 'cool' to the idea.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
My in-laws are on Salt Spring Island in BC -- and are snowed in.
MMm.... sorry, ZBB, my winch cable is only 125 ft long. It won't reach that far. But wow! Sounds like a whole lotta snow! How are they doing, have stuff stocked up I hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip277
So far - The Yukon is proving to be great in the snow/ice/slush we have had now for two weeks.

The way it is performing is actually causing me to consider not selling it... I'll just have the '01 E38 for summer duty and the Yukon for winter's.... for Patty.
We talked about that today. She actually was pretty 'cool' to the idea
I would think that given where you live snow is not an uncommon occurance. Whether it's the Yukon or something else I'd think it wise to have some snow-capable vehicle. But you're much more familiar with that area than I.

Where as down here closer to Seattle . . . well, this is the most snow I've seen in 30 years.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
I would think that given where you live snow is not an uncommon occurance. Whether it's the Yukon or something else I'd think it wise to have some snow-capable vehicle. But you're much more familiar with that area than I.

Where as down here closer to Seattle . . . well, this is the most snow I've seen in 30 years.
This is the most snow the entire region has had in quiet some time. I've been here 20 years and this is both the coldest as well as the snowiest (if that is a word) that I have seen at all - Seattle or north like I am.

This weather is really something....

Old 12-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Doug

most snow since 1974
Old 12-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
How about the rest of you?
Haven't had to rescue anyone yet.

The snow storm we've had over the past week had me driving my 1/2 ton exclusively. The funny thing is, I've only had to engage 4WD when I would go up my driveway. Other than that, she just putters along in 2WD as though the ground is dry.

I started my BMW for the first time in over a week after the snow melted and I was met with fluctuating idle speed. It did it only for a few seconds (almost stalled) and then it settled down to the correct rpm.

WTF was up with that ?!?!?!?!

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I think that's normal for cold starts. Something about emissions, warming up, ecu's etc...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #10
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Even today - I still have to put the Yukon in 4WD to get in my driveway (almost in 4-low range even).