carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-31-2016, 09:45 PM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor

Jaguar to...?

I've been driving the Jaguar as much as I can the past few weeks, which hasn't been all that much. I'm going to have to fill up tomorrow morning for the first time since since filling it upon getting it home in January.

I'm really enjoying the converibleness of it when the top is down, but it's still...not a car I'd buy for myself. Nothing to complain about. Nothing wrong. Just not my speed. We're in that time of year when the temps start getting up a bit without yet being hot or humid. Once we get there, the top down part will probably lose some appeal. I think I'm going to hold out until then to make a decision.

But assuming I sell it and replace with something that's solidly third car duty but hopefully can handle regular commuting from time to time... I've been thinking and the three main contenders are an NC Miata, 986S and an early C3 Vette.

My budget could be as high as $20, but I'd really like to be closer to $10. The C3 is hard to fit, but doable. Mechanically solid enough, rust free frame, non-matching numbers cars with appearance and interior issues are sometimes available in the mid/high teens. Some assembly and paint required projects seem easy enough to find from $10 to mid teens (higher cost ones having better combo year/options/originality and lower priced ones not as desirable. I still have no illusions about my ability to complete a project, but, well.

My preference would be for a 69 350/300 or 350/350, but I could be flexible on year and would consider a 68 and 70-72 cars if the right one came up. 4 speed is a must. Not too picky on anything else, but a/c would be nice. I wouldn't want anything that's significantly modified, but a little here and there...meh.

Not sure why the NC and 986S are mentioned above. I don't see myself buying one, but can see buying one of these Vette.

Oh, and my neighbor I sold the C4 to about two years ago seems to have never titled it (and he hasn't done anything to it and as far as I know it's still in his garage). I should probably get that resolved.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I know next to nothing about Corvettes, but didn't they make the C3 with t-tops? Are the early C3 better then the 70s versions? I remember a high school classmate's C3 being really slow. Maybe a dumb question, but are C2s just outrageous money?

I don't really love NC Miatas and know little about the Boxster.

I'd say stick to the Jag until a C3 pops up.

Everybody seems to want a new car lately!
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:01 PM   #3
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
C4 doing nothing in the garage, that part I know about.

There's a real nice sub-10k mile 986s anniversary edition for sale nearby.....
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I know next to nothing about Corvettes, but didn't they make the C3 with t-tops? Are the early C3 better then the 70s versions? I remember a high school classmate's C3 being really slow. Maybe a dumb question, but are C2s just outrageous money?

The C3 is the 70s vette (actually I think 68 was the first model year) and Came to an end in 82 ... It's a sexy looking car but the ride is hard as rocks but hey Corvette summer baby !! Not sure those of you remember that movie but that was a hot car !!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:44 PM   #5
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
The C3 is the 70s vette (actually I think 68 was the first model year) and Came to an end in 82 ... It's a sexy looking car but the ride is hard as rocks but hey Corvette summer baby !! Not sure those of you remember that movie but that was a hot car !!
The C3 was from 68-82. All the coupes were T-tops. Convertibles were available from 68-75. The build splits varied, but for the years I'd look at: in 68, verts outnumbered coupes by about 2:1. In 69 it was almost 1.5:1 in the coupe's favor. Almost 2:1 coupe in 70, 2:1 in 71 and 3.5:1 coupe over vert in 72.

Emissions started making cars suck in the early 70s and Vettes were kind of e poster child for emasculation. In the late 70s it got even worse with the introduction of CAFE in 1978. The 81 and 82 cars were horrible. Corvettes change appearance slightly every year throughout the C3 run, mostly in bumpers and side vent openings. My favorite look is the 72 car, but the 69 would still be my preference...and probably much easier to find since nearly 3 times as many were built.

68 and 69 both had five different Lxx RPO code engine options (1xsmall block and 3x big block), but between carbs, heads and other options, there were about a dozen power ratings. The small blocks can be hopped up to make really driveable power and torque without sacrificing streetability. They're not at all as amazing as modern LSx engines, but they work really well for urban/suburban stoplight to stoplight stuff. The big blocks are stump pullers with massive torque that don't run really well at high RPM. The "better" they are, the worse they are to drive on the street. If you're only driving flat out all the time, the big block is for you. If you're only driving to the car show,mother big block is for you. If you want to actually use the car, the small block is an effective demo of the less is more concept.

I'd rather buy a C2, but they're more expensive enough I can't look at them. If I do, I'll wind up buying a basket case that I'll never get to drive.

I remember Mark Hammil in Corvette Summer. Oh god. LOL. The car in that movie was such a piece of WTF?! And such a product of its time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
C4 doing nothing in the garage, that part I know about.

There's a real nice sub-10k mile 986s anniversary edition for sale nearby.....
C4 doing nothing in someone else's garage. Oh wait.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

With the nicer weather, I've been driving the Jaguar more.

My wife has absolutely no interest in it, and positively does not want to get in it if the top might go down. She's been in it once. As embarassed as she is to drive the FoST with the TEAMWTF tag, that's what she chose to drive twice in the past couple weeks when he car was busy with other things.

Last night, my 14yo was at a party and texted me to pick her up. In the convertible. With the top down. Both kids are requesting to go in the Jaguar when I take them places. They are both digging it.

My feelings are still incredibly mixed on the car itself, but I figure I'm getting close to when I should make decision. I am also rather open to the idea of turning the Jaguar into a roof for my house.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
My wife has absolutely no interest in it, and positively does not want to get in it if the top might go down. She's been in it once. As embarassed as she is to drive the FoST with the TEAMWTF tag, that's what she chose to drive twice in the past couple weeks when he car was busy with other things.
My experience with these kinds of things is if the wife isn't onboard, it probably won't last.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
My experience with these kinds of things is if the wife isn't onboard, it probably won't last.
I know of what you speak, but this isn't one of those onboard or not things. She's okay with me keeping it or replacing it with something else...as long as I get rid of the Miata.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-18-2016, 12:30 AM   #9
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
I know of what you speak, but this isn't one of those onboard or not things. She's okay with me keeping it or replacing it with something else...as long as I get rid of the Miata.
Oh, ok, I misunderstood - in the world of the married game, that's an easy one then
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #10
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:

That's funny.

So take away the Ford key next time and see if she goes with the Miata or Jag.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote