carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor

Not an F Type thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
At least the Camry hybrid wasn't the last car my dad bought. He bought a Jag XK8 a couple weeks before he died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
now that is the car you should have driven cross country.
So...

As I said, a couple weeks before my dad died, he bought a Jag XK8. I'm not sure what year, but almost 100% sure it's a first gen (1997-2006). If I had to put money on it, I'd guess it's a 98 or 02, but who knows?

Over the years, my dad had an awkward relationship with cars. He always lusted after Corvettes, 911s and such, but he never really enjoyed the Corvettes he did own because they were too hardcore. I didn't think much of this Jag when he bought it and it's not a color I'm particularly fond of, but I do think it would have been the car he'd have been really happy with.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the car on and off since October. I know my brother doesn't want it. The first time my mother and I were in the garage in October, she asked me if I wanted it in a, "please get this out of my fucking garage," kind of way. It's not a car I'd ever go out and buy for myself. I don't think I'd like it, and I haven't driven it, but I've been thinking I might want it, just because.. It's supposed to be in great shape. A couple of my dad's friends expressed interest in the car at his funeral at the price my dad paid for it, but my mom doesn't need the money (and it's not really that much).

I have a vision of driving it across the country, but I have no idea what I'd do with it once I got it here. I've probably seen too many movies where the wayward son returns after his father's death, takes the cover off the car in the garage and sets out on some adventure. But still... If I do take it, I'll have to sell it some day, and would that get more difficult with time? Until then, would I keep it in the garage or under a cover in the driveway? I'd want to keep it garaged, but I only have room for two cars there, my wife isn't giving up her spot and I like parking in the garage.

I don't know.

I swear, the my F Type interest and thread have no connection to this that I can tell.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
My dad had a 97 version. For what they are, they are great cars. As close to a hard too as you can get with the top up, smooth, lots of power for what it is and they handle decently - again, for what it is. As a two seat roadster to use as a weekend car, you might like it.

I wouldn't buy one without an external reason, but the nostalgia factor might make it worthwhile.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
kognito
older fart than ZBB

your (possible) cross country trip in a deceased parents car won't be the same as mine was. (I had to do it in a prius )

But I will share a few of my thoughts that jump to mind . . .

It will be an emotional trip. It was his last car. You will have a lot of hours for your mind to wander and reminisce. It could be a therapeutic trip. It could be a blast! If the car has been sitting still for all these months, it could also be a heck of an adventure and nightmare.

My trip with my mother's car was done partially out of necessity, I had to deal with her car, I also had to transport boxes and boxes of data and records back east. these boxes for her estate were too valuable to trust to UPS or Fed EX.

the Jag might be worth more being sold where it is than selling it back east. Might not be the same as my mom's prius, but according to quick autotrader search's the prius was worth 3-4K more in Washington than it was in NJ. It would have been smarter to sell the car in Washington, but it was easier to use it to bring stuff back east.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
JST

Sounds like fun. Is your daughter up for a trip? Might be a nice way to remember your dad. Or you might kill each other.

If given the chance, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Pick some places you've always wanted to see but haven't got around to. Take some notes. Write a story; even if you never publish it, it would be cool for the family to have sometime in the future.

As for the car itself? You can always find something to do with a V8 converible. Would make a great cruising car, and might take the place of the Mustang you've been talking about.

The one thing I have heard about these is that there is an issue with (I think) the timing chains, which iirc is an easy preventative but a catastrophic end if allowed to fail.

Do it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
dan
redefined

I'd let one of his friends buy it.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
So help me friends... What do I do with the car once I get here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I vote Do It also...

Worst case is you hate it after getting back, and you can sell it...

My wife's uncle used to have an XK8 -- I only saw it once (they kept it in Palm Springs and drove over to visit us once)...
Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
This is definitely the smart move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I vote Do It also....
But, yeah, this is probably what I'd do (not that I'm the best role model for this sort of thing.)
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I have always wanted to do a cross-country trip (in fact, I think it was documented in this forum long ago). Even if you don't keep the car in the end, this is one of those made-for-books-and-movies types of experiences that don't come around very often.

Unless my parents move to California and suddenly decide they don't love Toyotas, this is the sort of thing that will never happen to me. If I were you, I'd take a week or two of leave and jump on this.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
I think you should take it and drive it across the country.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote