carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I didn’t get this on my 5er because I didn’t really think it is that great of a feature but after I ordered the car I didn’t realize the regular digital dash(not the optional one) has no digital read out for the speed and I thought I made a mistake noting getting it.

Luckily when I got the car I found when you put the car into sport mode the dash changed and gives you a digital readout so I have the individual setting with a mix of comfort and sport settings for when I want the digital readout.

Bmw really has done a great job with there cars lately.
I like that HUD gives you posted speed limit, when available.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:13 PM   #22
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I like that HUD gives you posted speed limit, when available.
That is a good feature but now they put the speed limit info right on the gauges, I’m telling you bmw really has got the technology right.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #23
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Tesla shows speed limits also -- since Autopilot was introduced in 2014. The older AP system even recognizes the signs, the current version just uses the map database (sign reading has been "coming soon" for a while).

Love the feature...
Old 08-31-2019, 02:37 PM   #24
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Tesla shows speed limits also -- since Autopilot was introduced in 2014. The older AP system even recognizes the signs, the current version just uses the map database (sign reading has been "coming soon" for a while).

Love the feature...
Android auto shows speed limits too
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:13 PM   #25
robg
Carmudgeon

BMW 330 xdrive loaner review (G20)

Quote:
That is a good feature but now they put the speed limit info right on the gauges, I’m telling you bmw really has got the technology right.

+1

I know some may doubt it but, overall, i think bmw is now the best when it comes to (usable) tech. If you have t driven a recent bmw (new 3 series or x5) it’s worth doing. There is a bit more of a learning curve with idrive compared to some, but it’s worth it. Even on my current car with idrive 6, I never wish for Apple carplay. Disappointing that Audi has gone with an all touch screen system with their latest MMI - they’re trying to be trendy.

And not that any of us buy cars just for the tech, but once you experience it done well it’s hard to put up with other manufacturers bs
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #26
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
+1

I know some may doubt it but, overall, i think bmw is now the best when it comes to (usable) tech. If you have t driven a recent bmw (new 3 series or x5) it’s worth doing. There is a bit more of a learning curve with idrive compared to some, but it’s worth it. Even on my current car with idrive 6, I never wish for Apple carplay. Disappointing that Audi has gone with an all touch screen system with their latest MMI - they’re trying to be trendy.

And not that any of us buy cars just for the tech, but once you experience it done well it’s hard to put up with other manufacturers bs
Sounds nice. I have Idrive 5 in my 2, with the CarPlay for life. It is SO much better than the version in our 2016 X5. I’m perfectly happy with it.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #27
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Just had the new 330ix as a loaner and walked away really impressed. The new digital dashboard is beautiful, the engine is really quick and it felt very sporty. Also surprising when in sport mode the fake engine sound is actually pretty cool.

They also gave the car features that were never available on a 3er, you can now get the brake hold feature and finally they offer sync for the hvac system.

Also agree on the steering, it is much improved though the on center feel is heavy, there is no doubt you are in dead center it kinda just sits there.

Overall they took this car up a level or two though with that said it was nice to get into my comfy 540 with the Napa leather and Multi contour massage seats

I can live with the 3er for sure but I still prefer the 5.
Car & Driver’s review of the RWD version: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
Old 08-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #28
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Car & Driver’s review of the RWD version: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
$60k for a RWD 4-cylinder 3er?!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #29
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
$60k for a RWD 4-cylinder 3er?!

You have to really try hard to get a 330 to 60k. 50k gets you pretty much all the options you’d want. You can probably get about 5-8k off msrp at which point you’re in the low to mid 40s where it starts to make sense. Then again, I’d only lease this car (and every other car in this segment).
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #30
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
You have to really try hard to get a 330 to 60k. 50k gets you pretty much all the options you’d want. You can probably get about 5-8k off msrp at which point you’re in the low to mid 40s where it starts to make sense. Then again, I’d only lease this car (and every other car in this segment).

Yea, BMW has gone overboard on options and you can get a $60k 330 but you can also get what you need (m sport, nav..) for closer to $50k. 8-10% off MSRP is common and leases are strong so it’s probably $450-ish at that price point.

We might pick one of these up later in the year now that we need 2 cars, but first need to finish the house and then replace 550. Original plan was 2019 M550 but inventory is drying up so we might change gears and try to hack a leftover 2019 X5 lease deal instead, there are still some 50i models sitting.