Hell No 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #121
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I say "belief" intentionally because we are all operating with incomplete information.
Well, as long as you opened that door.... One "side" is operating with less information than the other, eh? It's easy to label us a bunch of Tesla fanboi's who like anything Elon produces. The other way to spin it is that there are some folks who formed their opinions after significant experience with the technology, while others who have never used it still manage to be rock solid on their opinions based on what they imagine it to be and/or theoretical problems it may or may not have.

Quote:
Correct use of it is well-defined.
Agreed this gets tricky. The definition currently is - pay attention and don't let autopilot do anything bad. In some ways this is literally impossible. If the car decides to suddenly swerve left into oncoming traffic, I might not be able to stop it. IMO this is the biggest problem with driver-liability on these driving aids. How can a driver accept liability against something he/she literally cannot protect against?

If and when a crash like that happens, it will be a lawsuit with some traction. This potential problem applies to any system that has potential control over the steering wheel or accelerator though. It's it's a completely different discussion than the dumbass who hangs an orange from the steering wheel and gets in the back seat to take a nap.

Quote:
all this fake AI b.s. is so annoying.
Agree 100%.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #122
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Back on the topic of full self driving. Tesla released a version that recognizes stop signs and stop lights. For now it doesn't do anything other than give a warning if it thinks you should stop.

So far it doesn't appear to be going well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stop signs.png
Views:	169
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	12558  
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote