carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #21
JST

I can't remember the last time I used cruise control; driving around here there's never a chance to engage it, and even on trips to NYC I don't see the value add.

As for drive assist...my M3 doesn't have anything (not cameras, not sonar, nothing). I thought I'd miss it but I don't really. The cameras on the Tesla make parallel parking easier, but then again I parallel parked for 20 years without cameras, so.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #22
robg
Carmudgeon

Cograts! The Fusion is one of the best looking sedans on the market imo. Several years ago I got a rental titanium trim version w/ the 2.0T and really liked it. Good power, natural feeling steering and comfortable seats. Only downside was MyFord Touch, but that's long since been resolved with the introduction of sync 3.

Also agree on adaptive cruise control - I absolutely love this feature now that i have it. Completely erases stress and frustration in stop and go traffic. Despite being standard now on many mainstream cars, it's still hard to find on many european cars and is often bundled in pricey option packages. Until recently, Audi made you buy the top "prestige" trim to get it.
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #23
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
not here in South Carolina/Georgia. I live in Nascar territory, pass on the left, pass on the right, pass using the breakdown lane, what ever it takes to get ahead of the person in front of you
South Carolina and Georgia are 30 cars stacked bumper to bumper in the left lane as while one dingbat at the front of the line maintains the exact same speed as the car in the right lane. When car #2 in line finally finds a way through, its driver immediately seeks another car in the right lane to match speeds with in line abreast formation so everyone else can keep waiting.

North Carolina is only less so. Virginia and Florida are essentially the same, but use three lanes to accomplish the same bullshit.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #24
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Also agree on adaptive cruise control - I absolutely love this feature now that i have it. Completely erases stress and frustration in stop and go traffic. Despite being standard now on many mainstream cars, it's still hard to find on many european cars and is often bundled in pricey option packages. Until recently, Audi made you buy the top "prestige" trim to get it.
Meanwhile, Toyota makes it standard on all their cars. Like cheap hotels offering free internet while ritzy ones charge for it.

I'm not a big fan of adaptive cruise in the Toyota. Minimum distance is too far back. Have not really used it in anything other than freeway cruise, so can't comment on much more about that. The lane keep/steering assist is "teh suck" unless you like being a pinball.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #25
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The lane keep/steering assist is "teh suck" unless you like being a pinball.

I only use CC on some empty stretches on the way to Montreal.

I have, on rare occasions, used CC as a speed limiter of sorts to prevent my natural tendency to go fast-ish when getting to a destination sooner will do nothing for me.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #26
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Cograts! The Fusion is one of the best looking sedans on the market imo. Several years ago I got a rental titanium trim version w/ the 2.0T and really liked it. Good power, natural feeling steering and comfortable seats. Only downside was MyFord Touch, but that's long since been resolved with the introduction of sync 3.

And yet, SYNC 3 has its own degree of suckage, just different than 2

Quote:
South Carolina and Georgia are 30 cars stacked bumper to bumper in the left lane as while one dingbat at the front of the line maintains the exact same speed as the car in the right lane. When car #2 in line finally finds a way through, its driver immediately seeks another car in the right lane to match speeds with in line abreast formation so everyone else can keep waiting.

North Carolina is only less so. Virginia and Florida are essentially the same, but use three lanes to accomplish the same bullshit.
I85 is a whole different world than I95. almost all of I85 from me to Sparanburg is 3 lanes, and fresh pavement. From me, south is just 2 lanes and the re-pave is still on going. Bridge work over parts of Lake Hartwell will take some time.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Toyota makes it standard on all their cars. Like cheap hotels offering free internet while ritzy ones charge for it.

I'm not a big fan of adaptive cruise in the Toyota. Minimum distance is too far back. Have not really used it in anything other than freeway cruise, so can't comment on much more about that. The lane keep/steering assist is "teh suck" unless you like being a pinball.
I haven't played with/ or engaged the lane keep steering shit yet, it is still turned off. Adaptive cruise has three settings, one bar, two bars, three bars. Have only tried the 2 bar setting so far.

SYNC still sucks, just a different suck than what your Focus had
Old 05-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #27
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Nice!

Can you go out on the lake yet?
Lake is wide open, and was busy Saturday.

Not "Lake of the Osark's" busy, but active
Old 05-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #28
kognito
older fart than ZBB

One thing that has been very frustrating today is financing. Some of the 10K discount was due to using Ford Credit. Salesman said I can payoff the Ford loan at any time (they used to say you had to keep the loan open for 3 months to receive the discounts, not anymore)

Bank of America advertises a 3.19 rate on new car loans, plus I get an extra .5 percent off due to "preferred' status. Well, car is off the dealers lot so it isn't "new" anymore. BoA's refinance rate is 3.49 on their website. My fico score is 863, wife's is 842 BoA approved me today at 4.19% WTF???

4.19 is still better than Ford's 7.9, but I am not happy

I also bank with Chase (since 1981) their website show 3.29 on refinance, but due to COVID they are not doing any refinancing, same at Wells Fargo nothing due to COVID
Old 05-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
One thing that has been very frustrating today is financing. Some of the 10K discount was due to using Ford Credit. Salesman said I can payoff the Ford loan at any time (they used to say you had to keep the loan open for 3 months to receive the discounts, not anymore)

Bank of America advertises a 3.19 rate on new car loans, plus I get an extra .5 percent off due to "preferred' status. Well, car is off the dealers lot so it isn't "new" anymore. BoA's refinance rate is 3.49 on their website. My fico score is 863, wife's is 842 BoA approved me today at 4.19% WTF???

4.19 is still better than Ford's 7.9, but I am not happy

I also bank with Chase (since 1981) their website show 3.29 on refinance, but due to COVID they are not doing any refinancing, same at Wells Fargo nothing due to COVID
Ugh. That's an unhappy surprise. Can you work with the dealer's finance office to get the better BofA rate?

Have you tried AAA?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #30
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Ugh. That's an unhappy surprise. Can you work with the dealer's finance office to get the better BofA rate?

Have you tried AAA?
We got close to 10K off of MSRP. Some of that was due to it being a demo with 1290 miles on it, 5300 of the discount was for using Ford Credit another 1250 came from Ford with differed payment.

We could have gotten 0% or 0.9% from Ford, but the car price would have gone up by 5300 bucks.

Seemed like a no brainer to take the 5300 and then refinance. We just didn't think it would be so difficult to refinance. The 4.14 quote I got from BoA is only good for 30 days, if Ford takes longer to set up our account, I might get screwed further. The 1250 discount with differed payments means our first payment isn't due til 8/26

I can't believe Ford would wait long in setting up our account, but, you know, COVID