carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #11
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I also remember some crazy long wait, when I was looking at S5 convertibles...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #12
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
BTW this is a strange one too ... I ordered the car with absolutely no deal in place, no lease price or purchase price. I do trust this dealer (Clyde is going to comment on this one) and I know they will do the right thing.

The deposit is refundable if I don't like the deal.

This is a dealer you've bought a lot of cars from over a long period of time, right? I'm sure you'll be fine. And would probably be the beneficiary of anything that didn't go right.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #13
Alan
Carmudgeon

Ok strange life we are all living ... it is weird to talk about cars or even talk about spending money but here is the deal to what lead to an odd day.

All car dealers are shutting down their sales teams as of today (or possibly tomorrow)as NY is only allowed to keep businesses open that are ‘essential’ ... I got a phone call at 9am ... i’m half asleep but I pick up and it’s my sales person from Audi, she told me the Q5 arrived and we can pick it up today but it has to be by 1pm because they are doing staggered shifts and she has to leave by 1 and after today she is off for who knows how long as apparently car sales people are non essential... I told her I was sleeping, give me 15 minutes to wake up, discuss with my wife and daughter and i’ll call her back after a cup of coffee. Truthfully i’ve got a full driveway and really don’t need another car by 1pm being I cannot return the A4 as it needs to be inspected and after talking to the girls I called back and said we will pick it up when she is back working ... meanwhile the A4 has only 14k miles so what is the rush to replace it.
Now comes the other issue, we have a 2017 340 which is leased and comes up in May, I called my bmw salesperson and he is only in for today and then he has no choice but to not go to work after today so I need to order the car NOW ... ended up I got his personal email and he gave me the rates so I worked it out with him that I can order the car Monday which I will do, I just wanted to run it by my son first to confirm the car has the options he wants.

So weird ... with this virus my last thoughts are buying cars it is really the last thing from my mind yet here I am ...

Edit: OMG the funny thing I just remembered I still have no idea how much I am paying for the Q5 .. lol
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Ok strange life we are all living ... it is weird to talk about cars or even talk about spending money but here is the deal to what lead to an odd day.

All car dealers are shutting down their sales teams as of today (or possibly tomorrow)as NY is only allowed to keep businesses open that are ‘essential’ ... I got a phone call at 9am ... i’m half asleep but I pick up and it’s my sales person from Audi, she told me the Q5 arrived and we can pick it up today but it has to be by 1pm because they are doing staggered shifts and she has to leave by 1 and after today she is off for who knows how long as apparently car sales people are non essential... I told her I was sleeping, give me 15 minutes to wake up, discuss with my wife and daughter and i’ll call her back after a cup of coffee. Truthfully i’ve got a full driveway and really don’t need another car by 1pm being I cannot return the A4 as it needs to be inspected and after talking to the girls I called back and said we will pick it up when she is back working ... meanwhile the A4 has only 14k miles so what is the rush to replace it.
Now comes the other issue, we have a 2017 340 which is leased and comes up in May, I called my bmw salesperson and he is only in for today and then he has no choice but to not go to work after today so I need to order the car NOW ... ended up I got his personal email and he gave me the rates so I worked it out with him that I can order the car Monday which I will do, I just wanted to run it by my son first to confirm the car has the options he wants.

So weird ... with this virus my last thoughts are buying cars it is really the last thing from my mind yet here I am ...

Edit: OMG the funny thing I just remembered I still have no idea how much I am paying for the Q5 .. lol
Yikes!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #15
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Wow. Well, i'm sure those dealerships are grateful for your business.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #16
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quick update ... Ordering a new 340 is not an option as production has closed down which my dealer confirmed today so we can’t order another one ...

Who would ever think we would be in this position and i’m not talking about ordering a new car, I’m talking about just how weird life is general ... i’ll just extend the lease on the 340 until we can order one but if you told me a month or two ago this could happen I would think you’re crazy.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:10 PM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Who would ever think we would be in this position and i’m not talking about ordering a new car, I’m talking about just how weird life is general ...

if you told me a month or two ago this could happen I would think you’re crazy.
Yeah. Similar thoughts in my new car purchase odyssey, too, for sure

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #18
Alan
Carmudgeon

So a weird update to this thread ... I extended my daughters lease on the A4 for 2 months (originally it was a 24 month lease) and just realized the extension is up this weekend ... the car just sits in the driveway being no one is driving anywhere except for me but I cannot return it to the dealer because the end of lease inspection isn't done and the dealer's sales department is closed.

I would think here has to be a way to return the car, I'm currently on hold with Audi Financial (going on 20 minutes listening to the worst hold music ever)
Old 04-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Another white car ...

Quote:
So a weird update to this thread ... I extended my daughters lease on the A4 for 2 months (originally it was a 24 month lease) and just realized the extension is up this weekend ... the car just sits in the driveway being no one is driving anywhere except for me but I cannot return it to the dealer because the end of lease inspection isn't done and the dealer's sales department is closed.

I would think here has to be a way to return the car, I'm currently on hold with Audi Financial (going on 20 minutes listening to the worst hold music ever)

Will they do a 3rd party inspection and if so could that company get out to you?

Also if you’ve had other Audi’s and plan to get another, maybe you can guilt them into a free extension for another month since you’re not using the car.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #20
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Will they do a 3rd party inspection and if so could that company get out to you?

Also if you’ve had other Audi’s and plan to get another, maybe you can guilt them into a free extension for another month since you’re not using the car.
Finally got through to Audi Financial after almost an hour on hold, it seems I can bring the car to the dealership but I then found out the dealer is closed until next Tuesday which is a couple of days after the lease is done ... I am pretty sure I’ll just drop it off at the dealer and do a video of the car showing no damage and then let them get it inspected.

It is such a shame to return this car, it has 14k miles and is only a little over 2 years old but my daughter wants an SUV being her school is in upstate NY and I keep trying to talk my 22 yr old son into buying it and I’ll pay for 2/3’s of the buy out price but I can’t get him to budge from a new 340 ...